Forestry workers dwelling.... and that thing called Planning!!

SteveA

Never read it anywhere, can't remember who told me... I have done a bit of searching and never found anything either.

So I don't see why you can't live there in a 'caravan' (movable timber frame bungalow), as a seasonal forestry worker? Its seasonal because you aren't there for the whole year because you... go on holiday, work offsite for a couple of weeks or whathaveyou, during which time the caravan is 'stored' on the land. Then after 10 years you get lawful use.

But then if it was that easy wouldn't this be the standard route we all go down?

Maybe it is that easy but we just misinform ourselves amongst ourselves and fill in the forms the wrong way, or fill in forms that we don't need to fill in! :laugh1:

Sometimes I read up on it and think... hey, that's simple, we'll do that.... then I read up a bit more and it goes horribly confusing.

Mulled wine now! :thumbup:

cheers, steve

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never read it anywhere, can't remember who told me... I have done a bit of searching and never found anything either.

So I don't see why you can't live there in a 'caravan' (movable timber frame bungalow), as a seasonal forestry worker? Its seasonal because you aren't there for the whole year because you... go on holiday, work offsite for a couple of weeks or whathaveyou, during which time the caravan is 'stored' on the land. Then after 10 years you get lawful use.

But then if it was that easy wouldn't this be the standard route we all go down?

It is that easy, well apart from getting away with it for 10 years.

We only just managed the 4 years we needed.

Re your first point, even hobby forestry counts so what you heard was wrong.

I am just trying to get a dropped kerb from the highway to an existing gate to the woodland and the Council are not playing ball. The gateway stands back 8.3 metres from the highway and the Council won't even let me cross to the gateway with a vehicle.

I opened up and widened an old access to a woodland and put pipe in ditch plus hardcore down to allow lorry access, needless to say someone reported me for opening an illegal access and the local national park came down on me like ton of bricks. They wanted all sorts of assessments done via various bodies

I'd anticipated that though so had taken lots of photos beforehand showing old gate strainers, the unplanted old track with my truck sitting on it, I'd even photographed where I'd scraped back moss to show old hardcore at gate... So basically could prove there had been access long before the NP started keeping records. I never heard from them again.

When the council roads dept turned up though they were very decent and their only concern was that pipe and where entrance joined road had suitable hardcore applied and compressed to ensure didn't damage side of the road.

Edited by Wood wasp

It is that easy, well apart from getting away with it for 10 years.

We only just managed the 4 years we needed.

Re your first point, even hobby forestry counts so what you heard was wrong.

Did they issue you with an enforcement notice at 4 years?

cheers, steve

What gets me is these bastards are supposed to work for us. Why have we allowed the civil service to create a situation where we can't do what we want with our own land. Some berk with a poxy house in suburbia can cover half his garden with a shed. Yet those of us in rural areas need to jump through allsorts of hoops to build a decent shed. Its even worse if your property is listed. Usually by some tosser who has no knowledge of buildings and hasn't even been close enough for a good look... I have no problem with building regs, but planning needs a serious amount of rethinking.

Justme.

Gwynedd Council, is a law unto itself.. They have no conherent policies and are only contactable via the witches coven at the call centre.

You just brightened my day :thumbup::thumbup:

The planning inspector ripped them a new A hole in his findings. They were totally incompetent.

I wish we had gone for costs but the barrister advised not too.

If anyone needs a planning consultant (North Wales based) or barrister (Office in Manchester but will handle cases all over) then I can highly recommend the ones I used.

Not sure if I can post details or not so PM me if you need their details.

You just brightened my day :thumbup::thumbup:

The sooner they are all taken down for corruption the better.

In the same week they passed a big solar farm outside of Four Crosses and refused a small one at Cilgwyn..

How many schemes that would bring much needed work have they stopped.

Yet can shut all the village schools.