Best Chipper

Mr Ed

Choice of anything is an emotive matter. Buying decisions can be based on any number of variables, including price, specification, reputation, a good demo even such a thing as looks and colour. As an ex-contractor, I still think back to some purchase or other and wonder what really tipped the balance in favour of that product. A Unimog we purchased from a main dealer who was a real bandit and rogue, a Landrover engine collected from a 90 in Snowden which quickly went bang due to a loose(?) gudgeon pin, a Bedford MK4x4 from auction with a seized engine (still in the brambles some 10 years later!). However, our three chippers were purchased because we needed them, they weren't toys. The first was simple, therefore reliable, the second and third from GreenMech because we found the blades worked for us and their general reliablity and the fact that the people at GreenMech were very helpful and did not slag off other makes but pointed out the benefits of their goods and not the perceived failings of others. I have come across so many people who always hear bad news but do not pass on good.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that machine that A Lopa shows from that aussie wep site was displayed along with some kind of similar sized drum machine was shown at SED some 5years ago. I had alook over it, but cannot remember who was marketing it. My recollection that it was not that good a machine in terms of the flywheel, blades, anvil and infeed rollers. It did not look like a copy of the typical American/Australian type of tool.

Interesteing posts.

I feel that there are some features that are easily definable as mking a good chipper. these are what I always wanted, and have incorporated into my own design-

Heavy duty aggressive infeed. just cause its a small chipper doesnt mean it cant have this

Power - at least 40hp, with the option of more

Strength - plenty of steel, minimal plastic and good design for strength

Compact dimensions- big American chippers are great, but for UK residential, you wnat something as compact as possible.

There are some things that are hard to define though. Looks are an odd one. I went with a simple steel engine bay on my first test units, but they look horrible and boxy. some seem to have it just right. I like the way jensen have such neat steelwork.

Backup - People will buy from their local dealer because they like them - and cause they get great backup.

Galved chassis, what for? If the prep and paint is done right then why is it necessary? If we are sending a machine to some European areas we plonk the chipper onto a ready made unit only to get around the homolagation laws that stipulate that the trailer has an identity that has been registered. Woodchippers are tools, and like all tools, they are brought to do a job. Why buy an 8" machine with a galved chassis costing over £20k when it needs to go off road behind a Tranny, or you've only got £12K to spend or finance or the drivers licence isn't rated to tow!