First aid courses

Chris Watson

Cheers guys, was looking at the Treekit course. I really like the look of that, actually looks like the guys might take something away from it.

The companies we have used in the past tend to just be your standard first aid courses with a few horror pictures of chainsaw wounds thrown in for good measure, all undertaken in a class room and very dull. Really want to find something arb specific, hence why I've been looking at the Treekit courses.

I like the look of the hands on nature of the Treekit course, i think arb specific first aid is so important in helping people to understand and appreciate the dangers of working in our industry.

There are a lot of companies who claim to do arb specific first aid but from experience its usually just a case of sitting in a room having someone who has never picked up a chainsaw in their life just showing you gory pictures.

Thats hope more companies can take a leaf from Treekit, i know first aid and health and safety are not topics that people associate with as being interesting.

I think companies and businesses are starting to realise that first aid courses need to include the forestry side of things more. I went on a Emergency First Aid at Work course a few months back and at the end we did an extra bit of the course know as +F which was specifically focused on forestry works side of things.

I think companies and businesses are starting to realise that first aid courses need to include the forestry side of things more. I went on a Emergency First Aid at Work course a few months back and at the end we did an extra bit of the course know as +F which was specifically focused on forestry works side of things.

Exactly, the HSE guidance has always stated the FA trainig should be suitable and 'relevant', to the injuries likely to be sustained, and refreshed annually....hmmm. On the ArbAC scheme we like to see at least a mid-term (18 months) refresher which is often with, for instance, St John or BRC because of ease of accessing it.

Cheers, n Merry Christmas..

Paul

The FC in Scotland (possibly elsewhere too) are wanting everyone to have an EFAW with the +F part, even if u have the 3 day FAW course it is not enough if not got the +F added.

That'll be more relevent to ground cutters/machine drivers than Arb boys but worth bearing in mind