Crazy thought or is it ?

Stefan Palokangas

I had in my mind for a while to somehow modify my stump grinder so I can attach a chipper to it..

Take heed of what others have said, it can't be worth it, however:

When I was very much younger and even more foolish in about 1974 we were felling the last 3 big dead elms on the farm where I lived and after the butts were taken off for milling I needed to get rid of the stumps. I came across a stump grinder that fitted on the back (and underside) of a MF165, which was our big tractor. It was called a Myers-Sherman and consisted off a frame with a pair of telescoping tubes and a drive shaft between them that came straight off the PTO and then a multi belt drive dropped down to gear up the head. The cutting head was two wheels on 5the same axle each of which used the same teeth as the little Vermeers which were popular then, you had left teeth, right teeth and straight teeth. The pockets attached to the wheels at two differing radii, so as you dragged the cutter head in and out from the tractor 4 or so cutters worked on the face of the stump, one set on one wheel pulling and the other set on the other wheel pushing.

After a week or so of hacking at the stumps I had got them all below plough depth, I could do the same job in less than a day with the big Carlton now but things kept breaking and going wrong.

I was left with the machine stuck on the back of the tractor without a use and having seen an exenco chuck and duck chipper I had an idea. I rearranged the teeth so they were all level and by putting the wrong handed cutters on the wrong wheel I was able to just about have a complete cut over the whole distance between the wheels and inside the bearings.

I fabricated a short feed chute with an anvil made from a blade off a Kidd forage harvester welded on such that with the grinder closed in to the tractor and at maximum elevation I could feed a holly branch through it so the chips just flew out the back tangentially to the wheels. It whipped the branch out of my hand , shredded the side branches off but spat the main bit straight out the back about 30 yards through the small gap between the wheels which I thought was covered by the cutters. I thought it had potential but couldn't play more as the tractor was required for normal farm duties.

The grinder came off and languished in the nettles until the dispersal sale when the old boy retired and was put in a one bed council flat, I think I did actually see it again, or bits of it heavily modified, on a ex FC roadless articulated skidder many years later

The idea to mount a chipper on my stump grinder is scrapped.

Thanks for all the replies folks, I wait a while and buy a proper chipper

one day. I would like to offer stump grinding, and grounds man with a chipper.

Have you had a look on the arblease website?