Insert Stoves (flush to wall)

IVECOKID

Got a call off a friend who has just had a insert stove fitted and is basically struggling to get to grips with it (townie) and I had already dropped him a bag of logs (5%-18% average moisture) to get going with . I offer to call and show him the ropes, these stoves have very little or no control on them and this one is blowing back horrendously when you open the door.

After pissing about I noticed he only has a 125mm/5" flue fitted and a single storey extension so I am thinking this is not big enough and chimney not tall enough,personally I think he has not put much thought into this and bought what I can make out to be a 10kw smokeless multi fuel fire in a area Where we can puff out Indian smoke signals without a issue .Also there is a question mark over whether the fitter has tested the flue using smoke test.

I have told him to get smokeless fuel and kilned dried wood to try next .

Has anyone had any experience with these stoves and I am sure that a 6" plus flue should be used .

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID

Got a call off a friend who has just had a insert stove fitted and is basically struggling to get to grips with it (townie) and I had already dropped him a bag of logs (5%-18% average moisture) to get going with . I offer to call and show him the ropes, these stoves have very little or no control on them and this one is blowing back horrendously when you open the door.

After pissing about I noticed he only has a 125mm/5" flue fitted and a single storey extension so I am thinking this is not big enough and chimney not tall enough,personally I think he has not put much thought into this and bought what I can make out to be a 10kw smokeless multi fuel fire in a area Where we can puff out Indian smoke signals without a issue .Also there is a question mark over whether the fitter has tested the flue using smoke test.

I have told him to get smokeless fuel and kilned dried wood to try next .

Has anyone had any experience with these stoves and I am sure that a 6" plus flue should be used .

Ste

Hi,

6 inch is what building regs spec but if the stove is Defra approved and has a 5 inch outlet it can be run on a five inch perfectly well. 5 inch is the norm in Europe.

A 10kw inset is a pretty unusual beast, certainly not one I sell however this sounds like a flue performance issue or possibly an air supply issue. 10k is a big stove to run on a 5 inch outlet, details of the make and model of stove would help. Suspect Chinese or maybe Stovax.

Smoking back into the room can be caused by insufficient pull up the flue or a differential in air pressure between that externally and the air pressure in the stove room. Extractor fans over cookers do cause problems as they create a low pressure zone and thus a stove in the same proximity can smoke back.

Last part of the install is a smoke test, on a windy day this will clear like billy o anyway. Has it been signed off as being safe to use as legally required ?, got my doubts as it sounds like a bodge to and scarper install. Normally with an issue like this the installer should be called back. This sort of problem is why most reputable stove manufactures are moving away from on line sales. I assume it was bought on line, you have spoken to the seller who does not want to know. So you ask here.

My gut feeling it that its an air supply problem, has an air vent been installed into the room through an outside wall, if so what diameter?. Does the stove have the facility to accept a direct air supply, a 10kw stove must have an air vent in the room anyway but a direct air supply connects the vent direct to the stove. To do this the stove has to be cited on an outside wall.

If air supply can been ruled out then you need to increase the pull up the chimney, use a wind driven rotary cowl.

Hope that helps.

A

Hi,

6 inch is what building regs spec but if the stove is Defra approved and has a 5 inch outlet it can be run on a five inch perfectly well. 5 inch is the norm in Europe.

A 10kw inset is a pretty unusual beast, certainly not one I sell however this sounds like a flue performance issue or possibly an air supply issue. 10k is a big stove to run on a 5 inch outlet, details of the make and model of stove would help. Suspect Chinese or maybe Stovax.

Smoking back into the room can be caused by insufficient pull up the flue or a differential in air pressure between that externally and the air pressure in the stove room. Extractor fans over cookers do cause problems as they create a low pressure zone and thus a stove in the same proximity can smoke back.

Last part of the install is a smoke test, on a windy day this will clear like billy o anyway. Has it been signed off as being safe to use as legally required ?, got my doubts as it sounds like a bodge to and scarper install. Normally with an issue like this the installer should be called back. This sort of problem is why most reputable stove manufactures are moving away from on line sales. I assume it was bought on line, you have spoken to the seller who does not want to know. So you ask here.

My gut feeling it that its an air supply problem, has an air vent been installed into the room through an outside wall, if so what diameter?. Does the stove have the facility to accept a direct air supply, a 10kw stove must have an air vent in the room anyway but a direct air supply connects the vent direct to the stove. To do this the stove has to be cited on an outside wall.

If air supply can been ruled out then you need to increase the pull up the chimney, use a wind driven rotary cowl.

Hope that helps.

A

Hi thanks for reply and you confirm my suspicions over fitting , I have told my friend to get back in touch with fitter and have suggested fitting a rotary cowl now .

Ste

After pissing about I noticed he only has a 125mm/5" flue fitted and a single storey extension

A recent change in building regs makes 125mm flue acceptable with approved stoves.

Is the single storey extension open to a 2 storey building that is centrally heated?

I had the case of a rayburn that would not draw and I think it was because the rest of the house was warmer so there was a circulation from the kitchen (extension) through to the living area and then up one or more chimneys in warmer rooms. It should have been okay once everything was up to temperature but the(new) owners gave up on it.

A recent change in building regs makes 125mm flue acceptable with approved stoves.

Is the single storey extension open to a 2 storey building that is centrally heated?

I had the case of a rayburn that would not draw and I think it was because the rest of the house was warmer so there was a circulation from the kitchen (extension) through to the living area and then up one or more chimneys in warmer rooms. It should have been okay once everything was up to temperature but the(new) owners gave up on it.

You might have hit the nail on the head , yes this is a garage conversion opening up to a open planned kitchen with central heating and 2 storey.

Ste

I have quite a big inset wood stove, its only 5kw however. Its a Stovax Riva Studio 2. This required a 6" flue. I must admit it looks the nuts and was very expensive but works well however I do get smoke leaking out when i open the door. I carnt light the fire and leave the door open as it leaks. Generally when its warmed up it alot better, also when I need to refuel I have to crack the door, leave it a few seconds then open it (works ok) otherwise Its like a backdraft and a cloud of smoke comes out the door. The fire is very contollable so I sometimes open air vents up just before refuleeing to get rid of any smoke.

My brother has a great big envicta (I think) inset stove and thats crap, he has hardly any air control, it just burns flat out so doesnt have any smoke to loose out the door.