DIY log splitter

welwell

I made it myself from scratch, cant remember exactly what it cost but roughly as below

Ram: Bought from tractor breaker £20.00

"H" beam Scrap dealer £10.00

Spool valve Hydraulic dealer £50.00

Power pack Ebay £350.00

Tow pack (wheels suspension etc) Ebay £100.00

Steel Don't know as I don't have the bill yet

Some of these prices are rough prices as the basic splitter was built some years ago, and most of the parts are second hand but I would think you could build something similar for under £1000 (not putting too much on for your own time)

If anyone wants one made let me know.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made it myself from scratch, cant remember exactly what it cost but roughly as below

Ram: Bought from tractor breaker £20.00

"H" beam Scrap dealer £10.00

Spool valve Hydraulic dealer £50.00

Power pack Ebay £350.00

Tow pack (wheels suspension etc) Ebay £100.00

Steel Don't know as I don't have the bill yet

Some of these prices are rough prices as the basic splitter was built some years ago, and most of the parts are second hand but I would think you could build something similar for under £1000 (not putting too much on for your own time)

If anyone wants one made let me know.

I'm interested. How quick is the return on the ram. Some iof the one's I've seen have been very slow!!!

Only problem I can see is I'm down in sunny Kent!!!!

Edited by welwell

Well you have to take into consideration of what and the size of it you are splitting as to the design .

In the part of the US I live in we are often concerned with huge rounds ,36" or larger oak .These would be nearly impossible to load on a splitter that was not tiltable .Thusly most splitters,including the one I built have the foot plate on the end of the beam and the knife or cutting wedge mounted on the end of the cylinder rod .

For small stuff you can run it in horizonal mode or tilt it up for those rounds that might weigh 200 pounds or more .