Gettin Started

Seth Oakley

Hi all,

Ive been working in hort for a few years, and im currently studying the degree course at Edinburgh botanic's, but over the last few years ive really gotten interested in tree work.

Any advice one gettin started out in arb? i thinkin of trying to get a spot with a tree team up here next year when i have more free time of the course, and tryin to go from there.

Ive also been lookin into placements at places like Westonbirt and Wisley?

Ive got my cs30/31 and some limited experience working as ground crew but not much in the grand scheme of things!

What would you guys recommend?

Cheers!!

Hi, I'm in a situation similar to yours, as in, I work in Horticulture and only have cs30 and 31 but interested in getting into arboriculture more.

I think your best bet is to try get some work as a groundsman with an arb firm for experience and get your woodchipper licence and also if possible cs38 and 39. As work won't pay for any courses I'm going to save up myself for the cs38/39 course in the new year :thumbup:

Don't jump the gun before you start......dont waste your money doing other courses till you have plenty of ground skills before you do your climbing or else you will become one of them buffoons they chuck through courses willy Billy and haven't got a clue and freeze halfway up a tree . You can easily make a tit of yourself if not careful,crawl before you can walk has they say .

Ste

Hope it goes well with you 38/39! :thumbup:

Thanks, if I can get the tickets myself then there is a strong possibility of transferring over to the arb side at work!

Also on the 1 day chipper course in January so at least that is another ticket.