20% MC hardwood in central scotland

renewablejohn

Have been on an American biomass website where a Scottish lady has been slagging off the UK market. To be fair I agree with 90% of what she is saying in particular 20% MC should mean 20% MC not 25% or 30%. So if anyone has genuine sub 20% hardwood for sale in the FK8 area of scotland there is a willing customer ready to pay £100 per mtr cube. Unfortunately Arbtalk is mentioned in particular the list of wood suppliers all of the ones she has tried have given her wet timber in excess of 20%.

biggarlogs. If your logs fit the sub 20% criteria you need to update your site.

"Our seasoned logs generally contain between 25 - 35% moisture and sometimes even less, they have been cut during the winter and allowed to gently air dry for several months ready for successful burning in the winter.

"

Sounds like the other link can't air dry logs properly either. No need for a special log store with well dried logs IMO.

"Seasoned Kiln-Dried Hardwood Logs.

Although we prefer natural air drying of logs we cannot deny the convenience of kiln-dried logs which can be stored inside the house or in a garage or dry shed without the need for a special log store outside. Especially so in the winter months when it is impossible for us to keep our naturally dried hardwoods from re-absorbing dampness from the air often resulting in mould growth if not stored in a suitable log store."

Have been on an American biomass website where a Scottish lady has been slagging off the UK market. To be fair I agree with 90% of what she is saying in particular 20% MC should mean 20% MC not 25% or 30%. So if anyone has genuine sub 20% hardwood for sale in the FK8 area of scotland there is a willing customer ready to pay £100 per mtr cube. Unfortunately Arbtalk is mentioned in particular the list of wood suppliers all of the ones she has tried have given her wet timber in excess of 20%.

Given the incessant (and I mean incessant) rain during 2015 in this part of world I wouldn't be surprised if moisture level of even kiln dried wood is going up.

If she's such a serious wood burner though why does she not get stock in and season herself.. Like the people all over Europe who heat their homes with wood. It's a peculiar UK thing that all wood must be delivered bone dry, a reflection of our urbanised society probably.

Given the incessant (and I mean incessant) rain during 2015 in this part of world I wouldn't be surprised if moisture level of even kiln dried wood is going up.

If she's such a serious wood burner though why does she not get stock in and season herself.. Like the people all over Europe who heat their homes with wood. It's a peculiar UK thing that all wood must be delivered bone dry, a reflection of our urbanised society probably.

Exactly. We've had three months worth of rain in the past three weeks. There is nothing dry that is not stored in a moisture controlled environment.

And storage of one's own firewood is key. Buy it green, save the money and control your own moisture content. I'm very intolerant of customers (in general really) moaning about the firewood not being exactly the right moisture content, exactly 233mm long, exactly the right loggy type shape etc etc etc. You're only going to burn the sodding stuff!

Sounds like she lives in a terrace so can only handle a couple of cube at a time.

I really think that in a country with such dodgy weather, you have to be a bit accommodating with your firewood MC.

I have a large (20kw) stove and it will burn just about anything. It really doesn't need to be that dry, though it is obviously better if it is. So many modern stoves are so tiny that I imagine it needs to be bone dry just to keep burning.