Can i cut this without killing it?

Magnolia

Question

Hi All,

First post to this forum, so hello all, im the owner of a very nice Magnolia tree, that my local council has said that I must cut back a particular branch that is overhanging the pavement.

We have already cut back the tree significantly (a tree surgeon did it), as we thought this is what the council wanted, but it turned out it was one specific branch. Rather annoying.

I have two questions, if I cut the large trunk that is overhanging the pavement, is it possible to do with without killing the tree? I need to cut the branch as much that it no longer enters the air space of the pavement.

From researching online about where to cut branches, I have learnt that you need to cut close enough to the trunk that the tree will heal around the scar. I just cant see how its possible to do this in this case, as the branch is actually 45% of the trunk coming out of the ground?!

I have a chainsaw so plan to cut this myself. Could anyone advise where to cut, if it is possible to do so without killing it?

John

jyF7I9con6Yi7HEXFLNsCrgzH40TLdXzEHvSr08ew3s?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

03pgcuqhNqgEuwdtPZe--a8-hIDQ3ChAiXWKPMyQXEE?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

59yFa4PxgpyDo0-En-57RYkU_T4upfevwffxy0dUDZg?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

Edited by Magnolia

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

That tree and its present location has danger and liability written all over it. Honestly just remove the tree and start new with the saplings growing in the back ground, I am sure they will aperciate the competition being out of the way.

easy-lift guy

It's a sad world we live in when we have to think like that👎

Just common sense. A tree that size has no place to grow and when the root system raises the concrete sidewalk in front of the house and someone trips over it and hurts them self in the process no one to hold responsible except the property owner. At least that is how the law would handle the situation here.

easy-lift guy

Just common sense. A tree that size has no place to grow and when the root system raises the concrete sidewalk in front of the house and someone trips over it and hurts them self in the process no one to hold responsible except the property owner. At least that is how the law would handle the situation here.

easy-lift guy

#have to agree- that tree has now become to large for its location, and considering the order to have maybe 1/3 removed, better total removal and start again with something more suitable and better placed.

Magnolia are very resilient. You can cut the branch no problem, the tree will be fine.

Don't listen to the removal brigade.

How resilient will the first person who trips and falls from a root system that has no where to go except to raise the sidewalk. The tree should have never been planted in such a small area to start. Ignoring the obvious liability by continuing to leave same tree is one more reason why attorneys love to be hired for fast money cases:thumbdown:

easy-lift guy

Magnolia are very resilient. You can cut the branch no problem, the tree will be fine.

Don't listen to the removal brigade.

I agree with this.

You like the tree, it isn't inherently dangerous at this time and it will only ever be fairly small anyway. It is in a location where you can easily keep an eye on it so if you do get a problem with it rotting and becoming unstable later you will notice (you could set up a reminder in your calendar to have a good look once a year).

I suggest unbolting the panel of fence first - it looks like it is held in with four bolts and it will be a lot easier to do this than to mend/replace it afterwards!

If you can't, I would move the first cut a bit further out than indicated in the drawing, so that it is well clear of the fence. This may make it rather high to cut safely with a chainsaw, in which case a hand saw will do it well enough, just take a bit longer. Don't underestimate the weight and leverage of that branch - once it is falling you won't be able to control it from near the cut.

I would then cut about where the red line indicates, to leave the final piece to cut off as light as possible. This is because you don't have access to both sides of the cut, so once you are nearly through you will have the weight of the wood resting on the chainsaw bar and you don't want it to jam.

Your question was about making the cuts so that they heal. When you are taking off branches like the ones which have already been cut, you can see that they have not been cut completely flush - there is a collar you can see in the bark which is where you want to cut them. However, you are now taking off what is effectively a second trunk so you won't have this option. I would make the final cut at a slope so that it sheds water and doesn't have a stub to rot away on the outside corner. Probably about 45 degrees, with the top falling level with where the trunks meet. Don't use wound paint afterwards - it doesn't help.

Alec

How resilient will the first person who trips and falls from a root system that has no where to go except to raise the sidewalk. The tree should have never been planted in such a small area to start. Ignoring the obvious liability by continuing to leave same tree is one more reason why attorneys love to be hired for fast money cases:thumbdown:

easy-lift guy

Do you see any evidence of raised pavements Ted?

Do you see any evidence of raised pavements Ted?

Be patient. The tree will make up its mind when and how it will continue to expand its root system. Considering the root system is 3 times the size of the canopy waiting for evidence of a raised sidewalk is very after the fact, and would weigh very heavily in favor of the victim who will trip and fall. Failure to use due care and properly maintain sidewalks or other public property is money in the bank for the attorneys. Not if, just a matter of when. I see these situations here in Florida daily. Biggest reason why liability premiums are so high and will remain that way.

easy-lift guy