Ford County or Similar

Highland Forestry

everything is a compromise if it isnt the exact machine, as we have spoke about, we really need to know what the ground conditions are, if it is driving over brash matting then even a valmet isnt much use, even with the belly plating, stuff gets wrapped round the wheels and wrecks the mudguards, stuff comes up between the linkages, i got a pipe broken by a twig, i had to chuck it and head home. and that wasnt driving over spruce it was just in a field..

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bowing out nothing more to add, I've owned or driven everyequipment equipment discussed and we are just going round in circles !

Matt look at what everyone else uses to extract poles...there will be a reason for their choice.

lol!! Grapple skidder is deffinatley the kiddey for the job... I want something that can do more than one job though so it's deffinatley a tractor forwarder/skidder I need.

The grapple skidder would be great but I could only use it for skidding.

Tried looking into what everyone else uses for extracting poles, and seemingly most of them are extracted by forwarder, but the forwarder only takes 5 or 6 polesd at a time due to the weight on the overhang and it is a slow process due to the size of machine..

This takes it back to a skidder scenario and from what everyone has said on this discussion it'll either have to be a county or a MB trac etc.

Unimog is a great idea but I can't see it working well on the sites we are on, it would get trashed and cost a bomb to fix

Perhaps I should buy the whole lot... a grapple skidder, forwarder, county, mb trac, crawler, unimog, suzuki jimney, skyline, debarking machine etc