Tree Identification

Milesboyd

Hi all, I'm moving into a house with a significantly substantial tree in the front garden. Could anyone identify it for me and offer any care / initial damage inspection guidance ??? The builder is taking care not to damage it but should I get an independent inspection done ??

Thanks

IMG_20151009_182333.jpg.13d5547aef9cebce5bd9828c7808b367.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a Beech.

It doesn't have the proper root area protection in your photo, root damage is likely to have occurred in my opinion, an independent inspection would be prudent in case the roots have been damaged to the extent that the safety of the tree has been compromised.

Its a Beech tree, looking at the photo's the houses are very close to the tree (likely to be inside of the rooting area). There also looks to be level changes and vehicles have been under the tree. Although the builder may have said to you that he has been careful not to cause damage, he will only have been speaking from a lay person and probably talking about visible damage to the trunk. Most damage will come from root severance and compaction of the soil.

I would suggest getting independent inspections carried out on this tree for the next few years to monitor its reaction to the new development.

Impossible to give complete advice based on one poor quality photo, but, I reckon that tree has been damaged by the builders already. Compaction of rooting area, materials stored and possible leaching of cement etc near the base, new foundations close by and possible root severance to name a few issues.

Yes it's a beech (lovely, large trees), do you like/want to retain it? If so then get an independent report done. Check also if a BS:5837 tree survey was carried out as part of the planning permission, look online or check with the LA planning dept.

All the best...

As others have said its a Beech.

The builder isn't taking care at all.

The rooting area is significantly important and there is much compaction going on and that's not a good thing. Negotiate the cost of a removal into the purchase and hope it wont come to that.

Look out for statutory protection, if not already in place it can be in short order. It will restrict what can be done to the tree and thus effect future sale value.

Beware neighbours who can moan about light, leaves and all manner of stuff.

Miles,

I agree with everything said above, and to be honest I fail to see how the LPA would have agreed to working the site in this manner. Can I ask, is that a semi-circular retaining wall to the right of the stem where the ridge tiles are being stored? If so, I would expect that a proportion of roots have been severed in order to build the wall and change the ground height - with the obvious potential significance to the long-term retention of the tree.

Even without seeing the plans, I would expect that the builder has breached the planning conditions placed on this build - this is punishable by fines instigated from the LPA. I would strongly recommend that you ring the planning office and speak to the Tree Officer regarding this state of affairs.

As the potential buyer, you would not be liable for anything at this stage as the site is still in the control of the builder, but should you not do anything, the potential situation is that in the next 5 years (or so, its impossible to put an exact timeframe on this) you could be facing a large bill for remedial works/felling of the tree, or worse still, having to clear up the mess of a large tree in the front garden that has had a failure (this is assuming several contributory factors eg root severance now, loss of tree vigour/no recovery, storm wind event with the wind coming from the exact angle needed etc.).

So, in short, contact the TO, raise your concerns, make certain all planning conditions are being met on the build and have the builder be prepared to spend some money putting the situation right.

Best of luck...

huge beech in the wrong place, leaves and moss on roof and gutters, beech can drop branches - fell it.

Sorry - can't agree on this point though. The tree is in the right place. Its the build that appears not to have been lead by a tree constraints plan, therefore the building is in the wrong place - quite literally.

Sorry - can't agree on this point though. The tree is in the right place. Its the build that appears not to have been lead by a tree constraints plan, therefore the building is in the wrong place - quite literally.

Where's that 'like' button people keep talking about...