Arbaid 1st course?

Old Mill Tree Care

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we did the Arbaid course today and my opinion of the course is that it was excellent.

Greig (Mr Arbaid) runs a course that is aimed specifically at the types of injuries that occur in this industry.

The morning was indoors but was not at all boring. Being geared towards us simple Arb types, it held our interest easily!

Sadly there was the slide show of gore that had me turning white and heading for the floor, as usual!

Lol!

Anyway, i think that all participants today would agree that the course represents extremely good value for money, especially when you compare it to the other courses: St Johns etc.

They just are not relevant to what may happen to us.

A big thank you to Greig for presenting such a good and professional course.

This should now be the standard, as a minimum, for our industry.

[ATTACH]197130[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]197131[/ATTACH]

+1 ^^^^^^ what he said 👍👍

Anyone?

You get a certificate stating that you have attended.

I think that's as good as it's going to get.

The course is appropriate for our industry. As for refreshing I guess it's going to be down to what's a reasonable time lapse.

You don't get a qualification, it's only a days course.

It makes me feel more comfortable knowing I have had At least some appropriate training and have a decent first aid box with the right stuff in it and have been shown how to correctly use everything.

Not sure if this answers your question, hope it helps a little.

That sounds ok treemoose. How much are the first aid boxes? Or do you get one each with the course? Cheers

The first aid boxes are £305 + vat without a personal beacon.

You can do the course without buying the box (not much point really) but you can't buy the box without doing the course, as Greig shows what it all does and how and when to apply the different stuff. The course is £150 each if 6 people on the course.

Plus the second part is climbing, self rescue, administering a compression bandage one handed and also aerial rescue.

Worth every penny in my view.

When I first saw Arbaid at a show I wanted one of the trauma kits but with the price tag I shrugged it off. Doing a first aid course had been on the tick list for a couple years and when old mill asked if anyone was interested I bit the bullet even though I thought it was pricey.

The box is awesomely well thought out and put together (credit to greig) and is also water proof and tough etc. Once you have it you only need to replace what you use (easily done via a text or website) or if anything goes out its date, but it's all clearly marked.

I really do think it's an important bit of kit that is often overlooked. It's the price of a harness and a few krabs or maybe a pair of good chainsaw boots and a rope? Things we wouldn't think twice of buying and replacing.

Also I'd happily pay Arbaid for for puting it all together and for trying to promote safety at work with care and attention to detail. You can tell they are passionate about it.

Hopefully I won't have to use the kit but it will be priceless if we do.

Just my thoughts on it.

Do you get some sort of certificate afterwards? How long does it last before a refresher? Does it stand up for criteria we need to meet for certain jobs?

Cheers

You get a certificate of completion, not a certificate of attendance as you do on any other first Aid course, meaning that you must complete the course in its entirety in a competent manner. Just being there cos the boss says so isn't good enough.

Greig specifies that candidates must have prior experience and be competent arborists or groundies.

The reason for this becomes more obvious when you're on the course.

Edited by Old Mill Tree Care

Hi folks,

Well thank you all for the very kind words it was good to meet you all, really good day and input from everyone. Morning tea made the day thanks Al ;)

You guys pretty much answered all the questions thank you, perfectly articulated and couldn't have done it better myself but i'll put my 2cents worth in, why not :)

For Swinney - Yes you do get a certificate from Arb Aid which mean that you are now an Arb Aid practitioner, you will have the knowledge and skills to be able to use our kits with confidence in any situation, this is also backed up with our aerial rescue and self rescue sessions within the course which, will also give a level of professionalism, safety and confidence in dealing with your own emergencies in the tree and that of your work colleagues. Regarding criteria for certain jobs, ignorance is what makes HSE type first aid courses fit the criteria up until now, industry specific first aid equipment and training are the new standard, show them your kit and that should be enough I would think!

Refresher training is something you should undertake on a regular basis even more so with aerial rescue and first aid and not for it to be a box ticking exercise as it has always been before. 3 years is on our certs now with most customers coming back every year for an update and refresher of skills at different levels depending on the company. Hope this answers your questions.

If anyone has any other questions please feel free to get in touch either by pm on hear or email me at [email protected]

P.s. Website will be live in a few weeks so watch out for that.

All the best

Greig