2nd car writen off in 18months!

David Cropper

Got a call today whilst out stump grinding from my insurance agent telling me that my wife was in hospital after being in a car accident. The hospital wouldn't give her any details, you obviously think the worst. Luckily I was only 45 minutes away not like yesterday 1 and a half hours away. Got to the hospital in what I thought was a calm condition, must have looked a bit wild to the receptionist who immediately came round the desk to reassure me that my wife was ok. Went into the emergency ward to find out that she was ok but obviously shaken up. It turned out that she had pulled out from a side road with a stop sign there, waited the required 5 seconds (which is an unwritten law here, if the police see you not waiting it's a €90 fine) and turned left. At this point some woman in an old banger came hammering round the corner after entering the 70 kms speed restriction and went the wrong side of the road and demolished the front end of our car. It looked like a car bomb had gone off, totally written off. The air bags in ours failed to go off, the car stayed where it was but the other driver ended up piling into a ditch. My wife had to then run across to wrench open the driver's door to release the driver as she was unable to get out. By this time people working in the grain silo next to the junction and from a nearby house came over to help. What is so ironic is that the silo is a favourite place for the gendarmes to lurk with the speed camera as this stretch of road is well known for fast driving, today not one in sight. Upshot is that at the moment we have no witnesses, don't know the condition of the other car before the crash, according to my wife it was a bit of a heap, we are hoping that maybe the tyres are worn etc. Because my wife was entering a road then technically she is at fault, unless someone saw the other woman speeding.

This is the second car in 18 months we have had written off. First time, she was parking the Kia Sportage up in town when out of the corner of her eye she spotted a dog running in, went for the brake but this car was an automatic, first she had had, pushed the accelerator instead. Bang, €11,200 worth of damage, written off. Only had it for 2 months. I bought it for her because she had a serious accident falling down stairs 10 months before breaking her back in 2 places. I keep reassuring her that they are only bits of metal and I am glad it was only the car and not her. To cap off her day, she had to come home in my van which is her worst nightmare, a bit like a dustbin, sweetie papers falling out every time the doors are open. I just picked every bit of clothing, kit, tools, water bottles, spare grinder teeth, flails etc and threw them in the back and coaxed her in.

I bought the new one after the last prang, a Peugeot 3008, built like a Chieftain tank thank Christ which must have helped. Poor little sod is feeling very sad tonight , I keep saying that she could quite easily ended up dead , count your blessings.

Thanks lads. The other driver was taken to Angouleme hospital so we don't know her condition. The stupid thing was that no one was breathalysed at the scene and my wife asked at our local hospital if they wanted a urine sample, maybe later they said. 5 hours later they released without a sample being taken, crazy. I got from my insurance agent a document that I had to sign as I am the owner, on paper, to attest to the fact that the driver was not under the influence of drink or drugs. I am hardly likely to say she was.

Got a call today whilst out stump grinding from my insurance agent telling me that my wife was in hospital after being in a car accident. The hospital wouldn't give her any details, you obviously think the worst. Luckily I was only 45 minutes away not like yesterday 1 and a half hours away. Got to the hospital in what I thought was a calm condition, must have looked a bit wild to the receptionist who immediately came round the desk to reassure me that my wife was ok. Went into the emergency ward to find out that she was ok but obviously shaken up. It turned out that she had pulled out from a side road with a stop sign there, waited the required 5 seconds (which is an unwritten law here, if the police see you not waiting it's a €90 fine) and turned left. At this point some woman in an old banger came hammering round the corner after entering the 70 kms speed restriction and went the wrong side of the road and demolished the front end of our car. It looked like a car bomb had gone off, totally written off. The air bags in ours failed to go off, the car stayed where it was but the other driver ended up piling into a ditch. My wife had to then run across to wrench open the driver's door to release the driver as she was unable to get out. By this time people working in the grain silo next to the junction and from a nearby house came over to help. What is so ironic is that the silo is a favourite place for the gendarmes to lurk with the speed camera as this stretch of road is well known for fast driving, today not one in sight. Upshot is that at the moment we have no witnesses, don't know the condition of the other car before the crash, according to my wife it was a bit of a heap, we are hoping that maybe the tyres are worn etc. Because my wife was entering a road then technically she is at fault, unless someone saw the other woman speeding.

This is the second car in 18 months we have had written off. First time, she was parking the Kia Sportage up in town when out of the corner of her eye she spotted a dog running in, went for the brake but this car was an automatic, first she had had, pushed the accelerator instead. Bang, €11,200 worth of damage, written off. Only had it for 2 months. I bought it for her because she had a serious accident falling down stairs 10 months before breaking her back in 2 places. I keep reassuring her that they are only bits of metal and I am glad it was only the car and not her. To cap off her day, she had to come home in my van which is her worst nightmare, a bit like a dustbin, sweetie papers falling out every time the doors are open. I just picked every bit of clothing, kit, tools, water bottles, spare grinder teeth, flails etc and threw them in the back and coaxed her in.

I bought the new one after the last prang, a Peugeot 3008, built like a Chieftain tank thank Christ which must have helped. Poor little sod is feeling very sad tonight , I keep saying that she could quite easily ended up dead , count your blessings.

Hi mate I wish your wife all the best in getting better very soon and do not worry about car thanks Jon

Glad to hear she is ok mate.

Bet she wishes she had married someone with a different surname....

Thank you for that Al, the amount of people who either call me Roy Cropper from Corrie or who think I made my name up to go with the grass gutting side of the business is unbelievable.