how to be safer at work in trees

Stephen Blair

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we have any evidence that rushing is the cause of most accidents??

i think there is a huge difference between someone rushing and someone quick at their job, i used to really go hard at it as fast as i could, but i loved it, it was like a race but i NEVER came close to hurting myself, but once i started to get a more stressfull life my head was on other things and i began to rush stuff, then mistakes can happen and concentration is lost, answering calls up trees, deligating from 50 feet up because you hadnt told the boys exactly what to do and just got stuck in. i watched steve climb last week and he looked as if he was having a stroll inthe park, he just flowed. but at no time did he rush.:001_cool:i know when you climb dave you are the same, you are in your glory swinging about the trees and you know what you are doing:001_smile:

I look at things carefully and take my time

I try not to rush when using any kind of saw

I look at the cuts and think what will happen if i do that

I may spend extra time on site but at the end of the day all i want to do is get home

to the wife and kids in one piece

From my experience and that of others I know keeping both hands on the saw at all times while cutting(and holding the saw correctly) would drastically reduce the number of chainsaw accidents IMO.

As for reducing accidents while climbing, always tie in and dont free climb. Same as above my personal experience and that of others I know.

Reducing chipper accidents is easily done by always have a push stick to hand.

Reduce groundie accidents by looking where you are going and always look up while in or near the drop zone!

Make sure all machinery is in good working order and maintained.

An use appropriate PPE.

Oh an do as I say not as I do :001_tongue: