Will it survive? (Cobnut tree)

spandit

Question

Was hurrying in with my new DR Brush mower because it started raining. Saw a small patch of grass that I'd missed before and since it was on the way back to shelter, thought I'd just chop it down. Unfortunately, being in top gear, the mower didn't stop in time and I "power coppiced" my only cobnut tree:

BBF4CE2E-C924-420C-B5BC-AABEAB410466.jpg

Do you think it might survive as a coppice stool? Wrong time of year to do it, I know, and it wasn't big to begin with (but had produced a small crop of nuts this year)

Well, being a varient of Hazel I would hope so - but best to give it a sporting chance.

Keep the area 1m radius around your power coppiced stool, organic-bark mulched, remembering to wet when dry, and protect the stump from any potential grazing herbivores.

You may simply be lucky in that there is enough carb storage in the roots to get a flush next year. Only time will tell I'm afraid.

tidy up your "prunings" and stick them in the ground as well, you will be fine.

Happy to report that a couple of the prunings have buds on them and there is a tiny, tiny bud on the stump so hopeful that at least some of it has survived

I should be fine.

I had a 18" 2-3yr hazel I had planted about 2004. My son snapped it to 1" height with a football, It came back to a foot in height then we moved and it lived in a bucket for 2 years. And again we moved. I planted it in the back lawn and my brother 'power coppiced' it while he was mowing as I was away with the navy.

Now it's in the front garden at about 5-6 foot high.