husky 365 or jonsred 2166

stihl fan

Having previously posted and expressed an interest in the hi-tec saws with C-m and auto tune , the more I read the more trouble they seem to be . I am an occasional user and might use the saw for 3 half days in a row and then maybe not for 2 weeks. As for what I cut anything is possible, but like many a 16-18 would serve 80 % of my needs . Last time I posted the husky 365 xt was suggested by many on here as the no frills no hassle options with rave reviews. So I have had a look at it, The weight was a bit of a concern considering the bulk of my cutting (this one had a 20 on it) and it ain't that pretty compared to the racy lines of the 550 or 560xp's :001_tt2:! How would it handle with a 16" bar or would that be foolish.

The jonsred part of the title comes from the fact that there is a local dealer with a 2166 on the shelf and he has only good things to say about them. I know they are cousins and specs appear the same , but are they? Read somewhere some little techie differences that husky's are marginally faster and something to do with cylinder rings? not that it would matter to me just thinking of repairs

Are jonsred a thing of the past? googled jonsred UK recently and it said they were no longer bringing jonsred to UK?

I suppose my ideal would be around 60cc, a bit lighter and that could handle a 20ish comfortably if needed. Thats why I think I was so interested in the 362cm and the 560xp. I want a pro level saw, as I'll hopefully won't be changing too often. But I think I would go off my head if I spend the hard earned on a stihl c-m or xp and find that I'm plagued with reliability issues.

Thanks all.:thumbup:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The front handle is different (straight not angled) and the colours are nicer.

When you break the plastic, the spares will have to be OEM.

Apart from that, the same. You can mess about with the cylinder transfers to get the same performance as the 372 in the same way...

Hi

Agreed, Im no fan of technology that ends up costing a fortune for that reason I avoid Autotune.

I have a 365 on 20" sugi B&C, its excellent - my thoughts with using a 16" are the chain speed would be fairly high, consequently the nose sprocket may suffer so consider something like a Sugi Hara bar, although reccomended bar lengths are 16-28". Anyone got a 365 on 16" confirm this?

I think a 357 is non auto tune, fairly reliable saw.

If you want a smaller saw of 60cc then look at Echo 620sx or Dolmar 6100 - Dont really know much about Jonsered but they seem OK.

N

Edited by NFG

I have a 365 on 20" sugi B&C, its excellent - my thoughts with using a 16" are the chain speed would be fairly high, consequently the nose sprocket may suffer so consider something like a Sugi Hara bar,

Can you explain as I have read this and don't see how it works ? If a saw is doing 13,000 rpm the chain is travelling at the same speed no matter what length it is. The sprocket size is the deciding factor isn't it ? The individual cutters will be coming round more often as there are less of them but they will still be at the same speed won't they ? I'm trying to get my head round this so don't laugh at me.

Can you explain as I have read this and don't see how it works ? If a saw is doing 13,000 rpm the chain is travelling at the same speed no matter what length it is. The sprocket size is the deciding factor isn't it ? The individual cutters will be coming round more often as there are less of them but they will still be at the same speed won't they ? I'm trying to get my head round this so don't laugh at me.

OK, lets say you have a 7 pin drive & a bar with 70 drive links for the purpose of this (generally 68 or 72, but bear with...)

Every 10 revs of the drive sproket will result in 1 rev of the chain around the bar, lets assume the chain speed for this setup is 20 metres per second.

Now you fit a shorter bar & chain with 49 links - so for every 7 revs (at the same engine speed as before) you get 1 rev of the chain around the bar. Therefore the chain speed is 10/7 faster.

Your chain speed is now 20 * 70/49 = 28.57 metres per second

If you now fit a longer bar lets assume 140 chain links, you should be able to work out the chain speed at the same engine speed will now be 10 Metres per second.

Now you fit an 8 pin drive & chain speeds are all 8/7 faster for the same engine revs, but then you need Spud to port it & provide a bit more torque :biggrin:

Hope that explains it

N

Edited by NFG

They will have the same chain speed, the speed in the cut will be higher due to less drag but the actual sprocket will spin at the same speed and therefore it will pull through the same amount of chain it will just spin the shorterl loop of chain more times but not at a faster speed.

The only way to increase chain speed is to increase top revs, increase sprocket size or change pitch!

They will have the same chain speed, the speed in the cut will be higher due to less drag but the actual sprocket will spin at the same speed and therefore it will pull through the same amount of chain it will just spin the shorterl loop of chain more times but not at a faster speed.

The only way to increase chain speed is to increase top revs, increase sprocket size or change pitch!

That's how it works in my head as well thanks for confirming it.

OK, lets say you have a 7 pin drive & a bar with 70 drive links for the purpose of this (generally 68 or 72, but bear with...)

Every 10 revs of the drive sproket will result in 1 rev of the chain around the bar, lets assume the chain speed for this setup is 20 metres per second.

Now you fit a shorter bar & chain with 49 links - so for every 7 revs (at the same engine speed as before) you get 1 rev of the chain around the bar. Therefore the chain speed is 10/7 faster.

Your chain speed is now 20 * 70/49 = 28.57 metres per second

If you now fit a longer bar lets assume 140 chain links, you should be able to work out the chain speed at the same engine speed will now be 10 Metres per second.

Now you fit an 8 pin drive & chain speeds are all 8/7 faster for the same engine revs, but then you need Spud to port it & provide a bit more torque :biggrin:

Hope that explains it

N

Not Really....

Onze revolution moves yer chain 7 links over, however long the chain is, chainspeed therefore does not change. The chain will go round more often as its shorter, but not any faster.

I think the only reason a shorter bar and chain will go faster than a longer one ( for a given sprocket size ) is it takes less effort for the power head to spin it . E.G. When driving your truck it picks up faster when you are not towing the chipper . Same gear box , same engine .

Edited by Stubby