Cancellation fee?

Mark Bolam

Yep!! I've had that one!!!:angry: You treat them well and try to be nice and they start to think they are great and you REALLY, REALLY need them and treat YOU like crap!!:thumbdown:

yup had that one , the guy worked for me for 18 months and by the end he was exactly like that . thank god the misserable little sod left and whent back up to where he came from !!!:laugh1:

What about if it's the customer who cancels?

I've had this many times, where customers have cancelled, sometimes after I've bought kit based on that work, and sometimes at such short notice that it's been difficult to replace that work (This actually happened last year when I was subbing to someone - he suddenly emigrated to NZ before we were due to do 4 weeks work together- and I'd turned down stuff so I could help him!). All very annoying.

At the time, I'd kicked myself for not pinning them down in a written contract, or relying on their word, but it seems that if people cancel, you're pretty much stuffed legally, unless you have some sort of agreement on cancellations in the contract. I recently found out that, even if you can afford to take someone to court over cancelled work, you can only claim actual loss back - and any work you could have done instead doesn't count as an actual loss.

No work, no pay, the life of a freelance climber. If you have a difference of opionion on is it safe to work can get complicated.

I agree if you cear up these issues at the start no problems down the line.

If the client is willing to give you wet weather works or a retainer then you can pass that on to your subbies if not then thats life....