New Stove - Morso Squirrel or what?

aesmith

How much for a new one as mine starting to crack from the top down to the flue outlet

Pm me your e mail address and I will send you an exploded parts drawing, if you can e mail me a pic of the front of it to [email protected] that would be helpfull, you can then tell me exactly what you need and I can cost it up. I thought you wanted the plate on top of the firebricks, now it sounds like you want the stove back panel, I would suggest that water coming down the chimney has rusted it out. In that case the stove is likely to be scrap.

Suggest you strip it out and have a look before you order any parts for it. had a guy with a 1410 with a split side a few weeks ago, no cowl on the chimney, (boat stove), stove was a pile of rust inside and scrap.

Thanks

A

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I am a Morso Center of Excellence, so should be able to advise.

Morso make their stoves in the same place and to the same high standards as they always have done. There is no difference quality wise between a Squirrell made today and one made 50 years ago. (yes they have been around that long). In seven years selling several hundred Morso stoves the next problem will be the first one.

So your room, about 30 cubic meters in volume, assume the insulation in the property is average and the rooms glass area is average and you have a single 700mm wide entry door then you will want 2kw of heat output to give you a 21 Dec C temperature rise in the room if its 1 deg C outside with the stove as the sole source of heat.

If you are within a smoke control area then you will need a Defra approved stove if you wish to burn wood.

1410 in its day was cutting edge in design but that was a very long time ago and things have moved on. I would suggest that a 4kw stove would be more than sufficient so a Squirrel 1416 would be more than adequate, this is one of the latest generation of Squirrels and has a number of major improvements over 1410. For a more contempory look at 4kw then look at the Morso S11-42, this is technically one of the worlds most advanced 4kw stoves, not cheap though but a 40 year plus service life if you treat it well.

If you are on a budget and are not in a SC area then look at the new Morso Swift, this is a Squirrel in all but name (parts are the same) but I am selling as ( as are others) at just under £600. It has a far larger glass area than the 1410.

PM me if you want more info or advice on other brands. There are several 'British' brands that have moved production overseas and quality has suffered badly.

A

What would you suggest for an open barn? I2m length x 5m width x 5.5m to ridge (pitched roof at 30 degrees).

cheers, steve

What would you suggest for an open barn? I2m length x 5m width x 5.5m to ridge (pitched roof at 30 degrees).

cheers, steve

An open barn ??. so open to the elements on one or more sides ?, if so you can put what you like in there, it wont make much difference to the temperature due to the heat losses but the bigger the better.

However lets assume its a barn conversion, so with 4 closed sides.

Volume to heat = around 300 cubic meters taking an average roof height of 5m.

Given poor insulation you will need 25kw, average insulation 22kw, and good insulation 19kw to generate a 21 deg C temp rise if its 1 deg C outside given that the stove is the sole heat provider. With a roof that high an Ecofan would be pretty well vital.

Traditional woodburning stoves tend to top out at around 16kw depending on the style. The Villager Duo 14 would give you 14.4kw nominal on wood and up to 16kw on smokeless coal. The old Villager A flat Wood will give up to 16kw on wood but is not that advanced technically. Have recently rebuilt a couple that were 30 years plus old.

A

An open barn ??. so open to the elements on one or more sides ?, if so you can put what you like in there, it wont make much difference to the temperature due to the heat losses but the bigger the better.

However lets assume its a barn conversion, so with 4 closed sides.

Volume to heat = around 300 cubic meters taking an average roof height of 5m.

Given poor insulation you will need 25kw, average insulation 22kw, and good insulation 19kw to generate a 21 deg C temp rise if its 1 deg C outside given that the stove is the sole heat provider. With a roof that high an Ecofan would be pretty well vital.

Traditional woodburning stoves tend to top out at around 16kw depending on the style. The Villager Duo 14 would give you 14.4kw nominal on wood and up to 16kw on smokeless coal. The old Villager A flat Wood will give up to 16kw on wood but is not that advanced technically. Have recently rebuilt a couple that were 30 years plus old.

A

Sorry, yes it is open planned.

It's to be used as a general DIY workshop and for flower processing/ floristry.... just looking to get it to a nice working temperature.

There is a mezzanine floor over half of the footprint (6m x 5m) so I'm guessing it might be best to put a woodburner in that section rather than the other side of the barn which is full height.

I've put 50mm of insulation in the roof and also with a vapour control layer in the roof.

The walls will have 100mm insulation and the floor will have 65mm.

Basically, ithe barn is designed to be used as a comfortable work area.

cheers, steve

Sorry, yes it is open planned.

It's to be used as a general DIY workshop and for flower processing/ floristry.... just looking to get it to a nice working temperature.

There is a mezzanine floor over half of the footprint (6m x 5m) so I'm guessing it might be best to put a woodburner in that section rather than the other side of the barn which is full height.

I've put 50mm of insulation in the roof and also with a vapour control layer in the roof.

The walls will have 100mm insulation and the floor will have 65mm.

Basically, ithe barn is designed to be used as a comfortable work area.

cheers, steve

I thought flowers liked cool ?

Hi Steve I no someone with room of that size similar to what you have there they had a 10 kW stove in their hardly took the chill off the room just waste of money thanks Jon

That's good to know Jon, thanks.

Thinking about it I'm a bit concerned about the amount of logs required to be constantly feeding into a big wood stove ....so maybe a Rocket Mass Heater/ or Masonry Stove is going to be a better solution.

cheers, steve