is this a viable business

justin131

When I was in the commercial window cleaning game, the going rate for a round being sold was 10 to 1.

(1 being what the round was worth per clean)

Very often the buyer and seller would "share" the round for a month during the transition. Very important when all you are buying in real terms is. " good will".

But it also helped the buyer get a feel for the round and see what he was really buying in detail.

Anyone who has poured themselves into establishing a genuine, reputable business would surely hope to see it passed on into good hands.

Perhaps a similar arrangement could be worked out (with in-built safety clauses) so that you could ensure that:

1. You could see that the amount of job leads are indeed genuine.

2. A smooth transition takes place while the business changes hands.

If the guys reason for selling is bona fide and the business is genuinely viable as a going concern then surely he would be willing to enter into a short term "partnership" for the purposes of transition.

Bear in mind that you may have some PR to do in regard to the unanswered calls / missed quotations.

Just my thoughts, written on holiday in Spain sheltering from a thunderstorm :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in the commercial window cleaning game, the going rate for a round being sold was 10 to 1.

(1 being what the round was worth per clean)

Very often the buyer and seller would "share" the round for a month during the transition. Very important when all you are buying in real terms is. " good will".

But it also helped the buyer get a feel for the round and see what he was really buying in detail.

Anyone who has poured themselves into establishing a genuine, reputable business would surely hope to see it passed on into good hands.

Perhaps a similar arrangement could be worked out (with in-built safety clauses) so that you could ensure that:

1. You could see that the amount of job leads are indeed genuine.

2. A smooth transition takes place while the business changes hands.

If the guys reason for selling is bona fide and the business is genuinely viable as a going concern then surely he would be willing to enter into a short term "partnership" for the purposes of transition.

Bear in mind that you may have some PR to do in regard to the unanswered calls / missed quotations.

Just my thoughts, written on holiday in Spain sheltering from a thunderstorm :)

i actually offered to go down and run the business for a month to see if it would work, but he wanted nothing to do with it he said hed rather let it sit in the shed gathering dust that have to deal with it

i actually offered to go down and run the business for a month to see if it would work, but he wanted nothing to do with it he said hed rather let it sit in the shed gathering dust that have to deal with it

In that case I would be very wary.

Buy the bits at the right money and hedge your bets regarding the "good will" part of the deal.

Otherwise walk away.

Definitely sounds like a no no to me. Offer him Whatcote think the equipment is worth and as far as the Web site is concerned get a new one. That's all his trading reputation is worth will be now null and void as you will have to explain you are the new owner and not the last owner who couldn't be bothered to answer their queries

That's what I've done. Got myself a little Web site up and running and I am getting work in from it. No big outlay to worry about. But if that bloke is interested offer him a something for any leads he can get. He will probably say shove it but when he realises no one will buy the business then he may come back to you

why not build up your own clients and advertising?i have my own stump grinding buisness,i get all my work word of mouth,dont advertise and do very well,if i advertised i would be flat out,and my son started his own garden and small tree type stuff firm and is flat out now,have your own identity,be your own man

just remember the web site aint worth zero to him if hes not using it,it will cost him money,and i can assure you a web site dont cost 10k,my son done his own,and advertises on yell and their web stuff,and he does well,dont bother with his stuff ,and as for the gear,you could buy new gear thats not knacked or worn out,20k could set up a great firm