Truck and person wanted subbie basis

Treeworld

"I actually don't care what other people get up to."

Hmmmmmmm:rofl:

I seriously don't. I'm highlighting the case of companies getting others to do what they can't, but I have no problem with what you do, and nor do I have any right to have a problem with it.

I agree with you on the free market thing, whatever works for you. I'm not sitting here gettign upset, stressed or any of those things, and I don't think you need to be bothered by anything I say, I just like a good rant now and then. The PLI issue is my only real gripe and that has been going on for some time and is not directed at you personally.

I don't think describing a transit as a skip on wheels will make transit owners rush to help you out, but thats up to you.

If I've upset the apple cart that much I'll bow out but I think I've opened up some good conversation. I'm not alone in my opinions but many don't agree also, thats a good debate then?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You do make for good discussion I agree on that. It's not a case of getting a company in to do what I can't, I could if I so desired go and purchase a vehicle suitable for carrying chips to dispose of, however as I'm sure you would look at your business and assess whether such a purchase is necessary which in my case it isn't so use what's out there to suit your business needs and thats that.

FWIW I am in a similar position. The majority of my clients have acres of land and they keep everything, even useless stuff which is definatly "waste". I have little use for a yard (I have one but its 20 miles from my base and only used for logs) I have a waste carriers license and access to every council allotment in the area they eat woodchips for breakfast!

I have a chip truck (of sorts, its an LDV) and that is to chip into so I can tip it out neatly in a different place. Often I chip onto a pile using a quad to get the chipper into place.

The only difference is anybody I get in to help who is self employed is covered by my insurance becasue I am the one who has taken on the job and I have done the initial site risk assessment. No one coming in for the day can know what to expect so how can they pre arrange any safety requirements? Safety is your responsibilty so your PI covers all. Unless you are truely subcontracting.

Also, I am extremely grateful to those who help and I thank them all personally and regularly. I am under no illusion that I am helping them out. It doesn't work that way, as a boss you have to thank those that help you. I've worked for many that almost (some actually did) expect me to thank them at the end of the day/week for giving me work. That is no way to manage a business IMO.

I think this forum is good for chat and banter, but don't forget that its also a reference point to many to learn about the business. I'm kean to ensure that poeple, esp/ newbies, aren't taken advantage of. To that end I think its important to let them know that they don't need PLI in order to work self employed for someone. Thats wrong and its the insurance companies that benifit, no one else.

If I've ruined your advert for a skip on wheels, than I apologise, no personal attack intended, but the issues raised are valid IMO. A request for someone to help with movign stuff now and then would be positivley recieved I'm sure, but the initial requirements of 8 hrs, PLI. WC and be grateful etc etc. just made you look like a slave driver.

In your second post

I would rather be able to give a lower price and also give someone some work too

Your not "giving" them work, they would be giving you time and use of their equipment that you don't have. That's somethign to appreciate not to take advantage of. (again IMO only)

Edited by Rupe

Rupe, I'm sorry but you must have had such bad experiences in the past that you judge everything very badly. Isn't it time you got over that, if you take everything to heart then so be it, if you take posts out of there context, then so be it, if you feel hard done, by then so be it. If others work differently to you or me , then so be it. If you don't think out of the box, then so be it.

On your insurance moan ( totally off thread as per usual for you) if when I am subbing for someone and I turn up on site and feel that the job is not doable or more equipment would be required to prevent any mishaps and effect my insurance then simply I would have a chat first with the contactor and discuss this and if not sorted then I would quite happily say Thanks for the offer but i'm not taking the chance with my safety as well as the safety of others and the clients possesions, this hasn't arisen but when I was on the cards many jobs I walked away from only for an idiot to go back and do them.

TBH I'm bored reading your do it my way or no way comments and unjustified interpretation of threads.

I am far from a slave driver and always pay people a good rate with thanks and also take them for a couple of beers to.

You seem to me a very miserable person, there is a window cleaning company in this area with a boss that seems like you, he gets very upset too if someone is doing the same job as him and has been known to harass people "off his turf" he to doesn't seem to understand the free market thing and if people want to work then they will regardless of their opinion.

Edited by Treeworld

And, I didn't say you WERE a slave driver. I just said that it made you look like a slave driver. Thats why I posted what I did. Don't take it so personally.

I have no probelem with what anybody does around my area, I do my own thing and am good terms with most others, I'm far more laid back than you would think. The internet is a good place for good rant though, no harm done. I thought we were in agreement that it raised some good points for discussion?