Drowned refugee children

SteveA

I know it's not arb related, please delete or keep this thread as you see fit....

Has anyone else seen the photos of the drowned refugee children?

I don't need to post them here, search google to see them.

It's such a sorry situation and I feel ashamed of our government... doing so little to offer support/ a temporary home, to even a small percentage of these desperate people.

Sadly, the refugee fleeing situation is set to continue for some time.

What can we do?

cheers, Steve

I know it's not arb related, please delete or keep this thread as you see fit....

Has anyone else seen the photos of the drowned refugee children?

I don't need to post them here, search google to see them.

It's such a sorry situation and I feel ashamed of our government... doing so little to offer support/ a temporary home, to even a small percentage of these desperate people.

Sadly, the refugee fleeing situation is set to continue for some time.

What can we do?

cheers, Steve

It would be nice if the Saudis, as one of the main supporters of IS, would help sort out the problem.

I was watching a clip presented by a Swedish chap.

He asked the question why do they get into knackered boats and dinghy's and pay 1000 USD for the privilege and risk of drowning. These people clearly have the funds but why go by sea when a flight from Syria to Europe is anywhere between 320 and 400 USD on average.

The reason... Airlines turn them away due to incorrect paperwork, as if they let them on and then they were refused at the destination airport the carrying airline is responsible for getting them back to the starting pint of their Journey.

A change in these sort of laws may be all it takes to stop the drownings and other tragedies that seem to be happening on an all too often basis.

Very sad indeed.

Just shows how a picture speaks a thousand words, we have known for months that refugees were drowning, yet now that a picture shows up everyones interested.

Its also worth pointing out that net migration in 2014 in italy was 4.29 per thousand population, UK was 2.69, france was 1.09 and germany 1.06. seems like the french and the germans need to do a lot more!

Unless we fix the problems in syria and iraq this will only get worse, and with the political mood in europe heading further to the right adding thousands of migrants will lead to more problems and bolster the far right anti immigration position.

I was watching a clip presented by a Swedish chap.

He asked the question why do they get into knackered boats and dinghy's and pay 1000 USD for the privilege and risk of drowning. These people clearly have the funds but why go by sea when a flight from Syria to Europe is anywhere between 320 and 400 USD on average.

The reason... Airlines turn them away due to incorrect paperwork, as if they let them on and then they were refused at the destination airport the carrying airline is responsible for getting them back to the starting pint of their Journey.

A change in these sort of laws may be all it takes to stop the drownings and other tragedies that seem to be happening on an all too often basis.

Very sad indeed.

I didn't know that Rich, thanks for the info. Good call. :thumbup1:

Just shows how a picture speaks a thousand words, we have known for months that refugees were drowning, yet now that a picture shows up everyones interested.

Its also worth pointing out that net migration in 2014 in italy was 4.29 per thousand population, UK was 2.69, france was 1.09 and germany 1.06. seems like the french and the germans need to do a lot more!

Unless we fix the problems in syria and iraq this will only get worse, and with the political mood in europe heading further to the right adding thousands of migrants will lead to more problems and bolster the far right anti immigration position.

:thumbup1:

Those embarking on the perilous journey would, generally, be the wealthier or better connected from the affected societies, those with the financial where-with-all to buy the journey. There must be greater difficulty for those without that financial independence who must remain. Tragic as it is, it is also a classic example of media mis-direction. Personally, I don't think opening EU / UK borders is the solution, it'll set a precedent that cannot be sustained in the long term. On this, I think Cameron does have a sensible position - aid in situ, not mass evacuation starting with the wealthiest. It is not a refugee that has exited Syria to Lebanon then transited to mainland Europe with the intention of settling in Sweden / Germany / UK, it's an economic migrant.