3 Trillion trees

Logdaft

Interesting stuff Logdaft.

Rather worrying that we are removing 15 billion trees a year and only planting 5 billion. Also that we have deforested 3 trillion trees(the same as the total now standing) since the last ice age!

With all the concern over carbon levels in the atmosphere it seems crazy that we are not planting more.

It does feel like trees are starting to be valued more highly so hopefully we can start to slow down the losses and work towards an equilibrium, or preferably an increase:thumbup:

Maybe the wealthy 'Western' and Far Eastern powers (who have done so much to screw up the environment) should pay the 'underdeveloped' rainforest owners to keep the trees rather than have dicks like Sting and Bono doing their high and mighty emotional blackmail and going on about how awful it is that they are cutting them down 'just to make money'.

If keeping trees had the same economic effect as extracting oil I recon we would all be living in a massive forest.

I may be setting myself up for a blasting here, but in terms of the UK an awful lot could be done in terms of increasing tree cover if we abolished upland sheep farming.

Each sheep farmer monopolies huge tracts of land to graze sheep which is not only hugely environmentally damaging but also ridiculously uneconomic (on average UK sheep farmers receive nearly three times their net income in subsidies- which is crazy)

If the uplands were left ungrazed they would 'rewild' with trees and shrubs, greatly increasing our tree cover and transform a barren landscape into rich biodiverse, flood alleviating carbon sinks.

The shepherds could become woodland managers and all the world's ills would be cured!:001_smile:

I may be setting myself up for a blasting here, but in terms of the UK an awful lot could be done in terms of increasing tree cover if we abolished upland sheep farming.

Each sheep farmer monopolies huge tracts of land to graze sheep which is not only hugely environmentally damaging but also ridiculously uneconomic (on average UK sheep farmers receive nearly three times their net income in subsidies- which is crazy)

If the uplands were left ungrazed they would 'rewild' with trees and shrubs, greatly increasing our tree cover and transform a barren landscape into rich biodiverse, flood alleviating carbon sinks.

The shepherds could become woodland managers and all the world's ills would be cured!:001_smile:

a fair point but there are valuable habitats in uplands that could be diminished. a few more trees never hurts though so agree to a point. but then there's my usual argument that there are far too many people, bloody things

!:001_smile:

The attitude of the supermarkets filling their shelves with New Zealand lamb during the peak of the UK production season, may just save you from doing any abolishing VI :001_smile:

but do the trees need planting or would they just grow

Maybe the wealthy 'Western' and Far Eastern powers (who have done so much to screw up the environment) should pay the 'underdeveloped' rainforest owners to keep the trees rather than have dicks like Sting and Bono doing their high and mighty emotional blackmail and going on about how awful it is that they are cutting them down 'just to make money'.

If keeping trees had the same economic effect as extracting oil I recon we would all be living in a massive forest.

Living in a massive forest sounds good to me, would beat all this 'rat race' bullshit any day of the week !...:thumbup:

:

Or we could even plant them with commercial crop and reap the economic benefit for generations.

I have just read through the BBC thing, turns out that as fast as we re-wild stuff over here, some Argie is boshing a big hole in some rain forest to grow meat for us to eat:001_smile:

"And where tree losses are often tied to timber supplies and land-use conversion for agriculture, as the global human population grows, we may see the net loss increase as well."

What we really need to do is plant up lowland productive areas, use the wood to build houses instead of using plastic, leave the useless upland areas where nothing but sheep can really survive for the poor shepherds who dont have chainsaw certificates, just qualifications in the control of "Ovine Gastro-Intestinal Nematodes"

:thumbup1:

You can see it!

Shame the EU "experts" can't!!

Study tour of Romanian wood pastures | Ancient Tree Forum