Zigzag or lockjack???

TheHungrySquirrel

Never used a ZZ but love the lockjack. It's real boon being able to change it mid rope rather than having to thread a rope all the way through. Easy to take off for cleaning and storage.

In practice - when it's bearing your weight it takes a hell of a lot of pressure to move that lever - what you are doing in effect is levering up your whole weight to straighten the cam so it doesn't bite into the rope. Even if it did get knocked and slip suddenly, it locks up again the instant your weight is back on it. For that to happen you'd have to be actively pushing the lever hard upwards against something in which case your weight would be off it anyway.

'Lock' jack is probably a misleading title because it doesn't permanently 'lock' so there's nothing to suddenly come permanently 'unlocked'. In use it's constantly automatically changing from biting to non-biting and you're not even aware of it. I've talked to one chap who was under the impression it could be inadvertently 'knocked' into a permanently non-biting freefall state. Can't see how that could happen - just make sure you use the proper carabiner with it.

I've knocked it or had it jam against branches loads and it's never slipped.

You can also rig it a foot or so up the line away from you at the end of a prussic and pull hand over hand beneath it to ascend (hard to describe) so it self tends as soon as you start climbing.

With a bit of practice you can get very fine and smooth control.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never used a ZZ but love the lockjack. It's real boon being able to change it mid rope rather than having to thread a rope all the way through. Easy to take off for cleaning and storage.

In practice - when it's bearing your weight it takes a hell of a lot of pressure to move that lever - what you are doing in effect is levering up your whole weight to straighten the cam so it doesn't bite into the rope. Even if it did get knocked and slip suddenly, it locks up again the instant your weight is back on it. For that to happen you'd have to be actively pushing the lever hard upwards against something in which case your weight would be off it anyway.

'Lock' jack is probably a misleading title because it doesn't permanently 'lock' so there's nothing to suddenly come permanently 'unlocked'. In use it's constantly automatically changing from biting to non-biting and you're not even aware of it. I've talked to one chap who was under the impression it could be inadvertently 'knocked' into a permanently non-biting freefall state. Can't see how that could happen - just make sure you use the proper carabiner with it.

I've knocked it or had it jam against branches loads and it's never slipped.

You can also rig it a foot or so up the line away from you at the end of a prussic and pull hand over hand beneath it to ascend (hard to describe) so it self tends as soon as you start climbing.

With a bit of practice you can get very fine and smooth control.

Thanks for that info, I can see me buying both if I can stretch to it

Will, I have both.. You're welcome to try them if we go for a reccy climb. But, here's my opinion of the 2. I started with the LJ and loved it though wasn't keen on descending with it. It's not great, in my opinion, when going above a tie in point. When I got the zigzag I thought I was going to throw the lock jack in the bin! But, alas, it stays in my kit bag when conny bashing and the like. The zigzag seems quite precious at times and like others have said, beware of cross loading and bending when moving around a tight tree. Limb walking with the zigzag is excellent. My choice... Zigzag

Matt once I get a rope and device sorted let's go for that climb, I know some good sized trees

Ive ran a zigzag through 13 mm rope with no issues.Can be bit clumsy in smaller trees with dense foliage though-in that situation i go to hitch climber set up.

Sounds good mate.. I'm looking forward to climbing a big tree without the pressure of 'getting the job done' and without a saw in my hand!!

Buy the ZigZag first....you may not want to use anything else once you've mastered it which could be after only a couple of climbs if you take to it....run it with a pulley saver and 11.7 blue tongue (other 11.7 ropes are available) and you will NEVER look back😎

I dont own either but have used both. I would suggest the ZZ, its what i will be getting once i move from the hitch climber. If you do go forward and get the ZZ, i highly suggest running it with a pullysaver and tachion rope, it self tends perfectly and works so much better than the blue tongue.