Small tele handler new jcb or manitou ?

gensetsteve

Lots of really useful feedback thanks. I had heard jcb after 2007 is a bit poor. I was looking at that little 527 they do but not sure if I trust my self with a tonne raised in the air and heavy right foot. I need to pick up 2.5 tonne packs of reject timber and some chunky old generators a 3 tonne machine lifts most of the sets we get in some are 5-10 tonnes then we just get a big hiab operator in as there is money built in to the job. On the other hand I have dozens of bulk bags to zip about with and less than 300 kilos in them.

I have looked at spending up to 10 k but machines are old and clumsy. I looked at spending 16 k but still tired stuff. So thought 26k and be done with it and get something tidy we can look after that should see me out to retirement.

Steve, I am totally converted to yellow, my 530 - 70 is W reg on 7500 hrs, still goes well, carts bales for 3 days up and down hill, mucks out for a day flat out and the rest of the year toodles about feeding animals, mooving pallets and bags, tugging tree trunks out the wood etc. and every now and then gets abused like a dumper, it still drives well and if someone took it away Id give up forever.

With a three tonne machine you can stack comfortably on less than perfect ground, slung loads on unlevel roads can be a nightmare with a lighter machine. Going from a 528 down to a 520 I think you miss being able to reach out and place pallets, go bigger and secondhand is my advice.

All the best whichever you choose

Lots of really useful feedback thanks. I had heard jcb after 2007 is a bit poor. I was looking at that little 527 they do but not sure if I trust my self with a tonne raised in the air and heavy right foot. I need to pick up 2.5 tonne packs of reject timber and some chunky old generators a 3 tonne machine lifts most of the sets we get in some are 5-10 tonnes then we just get a big hiab operator in as there is money built in to the job. On the other hand I have dozens of bulk bags to zip about with and less than 300 kilos in them.

I have looked at spending up to 10 k but machines are old and clumsy. I looked at spending 16 k but still tired stuff. So thought 26k and be done with it and get something tidy we can look after that should see me out to retirement.

I've got a 527-55 2011. Got it with 1100 hrs on and put 600 hrs onto it in the last 18 months. Really pleased with the machine, great in small spaces. If you think of getting one be sure to check the main pin that holds the arm on the rear of the machine, a bugger to grease properly and can be very expensive to replace. Go for an Agri version if you can find one.

PS If operating in tight spaces is not a concern, seriously consider a 526-55 Agi or 530. They are a lot more machine and a lot more versatile

Edited by Duffryn

Lots of choices have been mentioned here but out of the three I know, two stand out from the crowd regarding cost of ownership.

Matitou is great to drive but as our local contractor found out they breakdown too often.

Merlo not so nice to drive but only had a day on one. When they do let go ( and they will) expect big bills.

JCB may not be the best to drive but probably the best for your pocket. No doubt there are a few yellow lemons around but more will be painted red or green IME.

The more I read the more I think I need 2 machines. I currently have a 525 and a small brinkman bri truck all terrain 1 tonne truck. This little truck sits at the end of a conveyor ticking over and glazing up for hours. It normally has an inch of fine saw dust all over it but it is totally on its last legs not the way I would want to treat a nice truck. When these two forklifts are out of service the forks go on the bobcat.

I think a late 90's jcb 530 or similar might be good. It will feel more agile as it has 4 wheel steering our 525 is the one with big wheels at the front.