Starting arb set up

TheHungrySquirrel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

If we can deviate from badger fur for a minute, I found this thread in a search and it's related to my question so thought I'd ask instead of starting a new one as I'm after some advice about a basic start up arb set up.

My employer is thinking about putting a couple of us through the CS 38/39 as in our 22 acre forest park there's normally one or two trees identified every windy period that need to be topped, pruned or dismantled. Though we fell and cross cut everything ourselves getting someone in at anywhere between £200 - £400 per tree is quick becoming an expensive way of operating it and we've both realised that the training would pay for itself quite quickly.

For someone with 30/31 already, the 38/39 seems to cost in the region of £1k or just over with the vat at most places, but I was wondering if anyone could give an approximate cost of all the climbing gear and PPE required as well, including a top handled saw if we decided to get one I'm guessing £750 wouldn't go too far?

Is there any hidden costs or other snags I might not have thought of? I've barely looked into the whole procedure this site is my first port of call really.

Out of interest, how did you arrive at that figure?

A climbing kit is personal choice, you can go top of the line tech or manage with as little as a harness and a couple of biners.

Decide what kit you want first

You're right it was a bit of a stab in the dark, I had in mind a rope at perhaps 45m, boots, trousers and helmet suitable for climbing as we've only got basic ground stuff, harness, karabiners and any other descenders/trick bits of kit we might need and a top handled saw, MS 150 T or similar. Easy to see how £750 might be achievable Though for how infrequently we're likely to be climbing perhaps a pro saw would be a bit OTT, we could probably make do with a Mitox or a second hand stihl/husky or similar for a good chunk less.

Edited by Darkslider