Tanaka 210SB not reving

Tim Tindall

I'm just a bit concerned about this knurled brass plug. You should not be able to see any knurling, maybe someone has had a go at moving it, and it should not be moved.

The throttle body should look like this picture. There is a little white plug right down in the hole. This can be pulled out by screwing a small self tapper in and then pulling it out.

Under the plug is the slot for the 2mm screwdriver that ADW mentioned yesterday.

The throttle barrel is easily and cheaply replaced, I keep a load in stock.

P1000031.jpg.bf838e478df2e607cc98378cb9d0e721.jpg

P1000030.jpg.e6ccd25a05708d79935eed6578bf46f9.jpg

P1000029.jpg.c3a16b7620c8f5c89d9c046d2952ae73.jpg

P1000027.jpg.b12d2dbec2d7c1ec0f454f42af31ca78.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt there a posibilty that the needle has come out of adjustment, not by moving but by virtue of there being a hard to notice thin coating of gum inside the jet/internal drillings which are restricting the fuel flow??

Yes Slim, this is one reason that carbs go out of tune and require richening on the jet to compensate, or cleaning to remove the gum and reinstate the original fuel flow.

But this process would be very gradual, (and is also another reason for using Aspen!)

In this case I suspect physical damage to the jet, as there should be no knurled brass visible

Great to have you back.

The picture you sent of the brass insert is exactly the same as mine. I just assumed this is knurled then pressed in. Mine is totally flush with it's surrounding plastic so doesn't seem to have risen up. When you first told me about a plastic cap I thought it would be a plastic cap on top of the throttle shaft and not inside. Your picture has now shown perfectly what to do, thanks. Would you suggest taking the needle completely out for inspection or just give it a quarter turn to the left, to see if that works ?

I have some carb cleaner that I could spray down the needle tube, to help ?

Regards,

Tim.

Great to have you back.

The picture you sent of the brass insert is exactly the same as mine. I just assumed this is knurled then pressed in. Mine is totally flush with it's surrounding plastic so doesn't seem to have risen up. When you first told me about a plastic cap I thought it would be a plastic cap on top of the throttle shaft and not inside. Your picture has now shown perfectly what to do, thanks. Would you suggest taking the needle completely out for inspection or just give it a quarter turn to the left, to see if that works ?

I have some carb cleaner that I could spray down the needle tube, to help ?

Regards,

Tim.

I certainly would not take it right out, just tweak it a little, but not too far. It cannot be far out after all.

Spraying carb cleaner down from the top will be of no benefit.

If the machine was on my bench I would now be fitting my test carb just to prove that it is a carb issue, as it only takes about 3 minutes to do this. Then I would fix, or replace the original carb.

Hi.

Managed to get the little plastic bung out very easily, how you suggested with a small screw. Used a small watch makers screwdriver to try and turn the screw inside, but it seems solid ? and will not turn..Checked needle and hole in pipe where needle goes with magnifying glass and there is no coating and hole is clear and clean. Took muffler off again and cleaned the outlet port and muffler but there was no real amount of carbon just a bit of black oil, normal I would think. Checked spark, okay.Fuel pipe clear and not kinked. Put new fuel in mixed at 50/1. Started first pull, when primed, but still will not rev, just dies. I have sworn many times at the damned thing but it still will not rev !!

Question. When I changed the coil I noticed there is a slight amount of adjustment from the pick up plate on side of coil to the flywheel. Should that gap be a certain distance apart ?

Regards,

Tim.

The coil should be fitted with just the thickness of a standard business card between the coil legs and the flywheel.

Slacken the coil, pull it away from the flywheel, interpose a piece of card the thickness of a business card (NGK sparkplug box?) Line the flywheel magnets up with coil and let the magnet pull the coil down against the card. Tighten the coil, remove the card. Job done.