31m Dead Sequoia Dismantle

SamTree

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was that a giant redwood? AKA Sequoiadendron giganteum? Also, any idea what killed it? I mean, in California these trees can live to be two or three thousand years old, and appear to be pretty resistant to the bugs that might try to attack them. So it makes me wonder how old this tree actually was, and what ended up afflicting it.

I thought that redwoods could grow about three feet a year or something close to that, but in England, where it is probably cooler for much of the year, maybe it grows much more slowly. Assuming three feet a year is accurate, that would make the tree only about thirty years old or so.

Any answers to my questions that are possible would be greatly appreciated. I just love the idea of spreading the giant redwoods to as many places as it is possible to grow them, and it is a bit disheartening when I hear about one of them dying prematurely for some reason.

Tim

Was that a giant redwood? AKA Sequoiadendron giganteum? Also, any idea what killed it? I mean, in California these trees can live to be two or three thousand years old, and appear to be pretty resistant to the bugs that might try to attack them. So it makes me wonder how old this tree actually was, and what ended up afflicting it.

I thought that redwoods could grow about three feet a year or something close to that, but in England, where it is probably cooler for much of the year, maybe it grows much more slowly. Assuming three feet a year is accurate, that would make the tree only about thirty years old or so.

Any answers to my questions that are possible would be greatly appreciated. I just love the idea of spreading the giant redwoods to as many places as it is possible to grow them, and it is a bit disheartening when I hear about one of them dying prematurely for some reason.

Tim

I have never heard of the 3 ft a year claim, that could make a california 4 thousand yr old one what height...... i love these trees Tim and find them fascinating. The ones we have here in Britain are relatively young (no more than a couple of hundred years say). And our climate is more like north california and oregon than you might think. Given time, i can see no reason why these trees could not gro w as large as the ones in PNW.

Bet that felt high when u just had the pole. I always find theres more th those than you think. Nice work Sam. How long did it take?

Cheers Marc, yep definatly felt high, and was moving around alot more that i expected, all good fun : )

We had a late start due to heavy rain, stripped what we could out with the MEWP up to aprox 18-20m. I climbed out and stripped the rest and got the top out whilst everyone had lunch, quick chip up and then Colin sectioned the pole down to where the video left it . Ash went back the next day to take the pole down and fell. So short answer 2 days 👍

Ill try and up liad some pics of it on the deck