What equipment to start up?

Will Cobb

Again to make money you need good business sense. The tree cutting can be the easy bit!!

I started with an MS230 (that I paid way over the odds for) some cheap B&Q hedgetrimmers and an old caravan chassis trailer. The hedge trimmers only lasted about 4 months but earnt enough money to buy some stihl ones which are still going strong now. All my trimmings and brash went to a skip firm who charged me over the weighbridge. I saved every penny I could from each job until I could afford my first chipper at which point the size of jobs you take on can increase as you have more means to remove your arrisings and chippings are easy to get rid of the garden centres, allotments, etc. I have never had credit for anything that I use in tree work but it took a long tome to build up the kit I have got and hence the earning potential of my business.

Only take on jobs you are really confident you can do and have the kit to complete, I dropped a major clanger early on taking on a job for a mates dad. Semi mates rates coupled with inexperience in pricing meant the job was way underpriced. My inexperience/inability and lack of kit meant I had to get a contract climber in to finish the tree and that job that I though would make me a fortune cost me a few hundred £ and a few days working for nothing.

Hi Starting off small is good and will keep you from running in the red . keep the main job going as this is the bread winner, in this time you can start off doing little jobs for friends and people you know this will help you build exp and learn what tools you need by doing this .volunteering for your local NT or other wildlife trust is a great exp gainer in the early days it as you will learn all sorts of stuff with your saw .

The basics needed if on very small jobs is a couple of saws ,wedges, a felling lever a pair of long handled pruners these are just great .

A strimmer this gives you the option of grass cutting as well as getting to the wood bit .

If you have not got a chipper then just for small jobs a couple of very large hippo bags for the brash and then off to the local tip as long as your van is not company sign written.

If you are felling then a winch is a must unless you are very very selective on what you are felling . PL insurance is also a must when working with the GP.

These are just a few little tips to get you started

All the best

Eastwater:001_smile:

Most important thing is paying customers without them you wont earn a bean.

Very bare minimum is climbing kit and a saw.

From there I would go,truck,more/better saws,lowering gear(ie a rope!) trailer or chipper,more saws,more climbing gear,more lowering gear etc etc.

what equipment is a must for starting up like the most important bits of kit you will need and will get you making money

A knowledge in what equipment is required to get going would be a start! Surely we are telling you how to suck eggs if you are even contemplating going s/e?

.....saw, climbing equip, somthing to transport them in...:confused1:

A Client base.

I didn't have one of them when i started,i do now.But i always wondered when and where it was going to come from.Do what you say you are going to do for what you've said you'd do it for,leave an extremely tidy job(every job) and always repair any mishaps.Worked for me:001_cool: