Aerial Recue Drills

TIMON

I think practise is important, of the procedure more than the climbing part. I remember at college the instructor demonstrating a pole rescue, he spiked up to the victim and then realised he'd left a vital bit of kit on the deck. Embarrassing but in a real life scenario dangerous.

When you've rehearsed something regularly, if or when you have to do it for real it's second nature rather than being something you have to spend ten minutes thinking about before you start, or going into a panic because your stressed and under pressure.

The isa comp is a great way of replicating some of that pressure....

• 8 months later...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resurrecting an old thread because this topic came up the other day. Most people that pass their CS38 either never have to perform a rescue or never get to practice because of the time pressures of work. So how many people think there should be a compulsory refresher? How many even care. Once they have the piece of paper they've satisfied the requirements of their insurance company. If your new groundsman says he has CS38 do you run him through a rescue to make sure he can remember what to do? I'm curious to know how others feel on this.

Resurrecting an old thread because this topic came up the other day. Most people that pass their CS38 either never have to perform a rescue or never get to practice because of the time pressures of work. So how many people think there should be a compulsory refresher? How many even care. Once they have the piece of paper they've satisfied the requirements of their insurance company. If your new groundsman says he has CS38 do you run him through a rescue to make sure he can remember what to do? I'm curious to know how others feel on this.

I know a lot of people that will run an Aries rescue training day once a year to keep the lads in check.

But what I fine mental is that you are more likely to have a bad accident in a crappy conifer tree/hedge that you reducing and there is no plan put in place for that.

If such an accident occurred what would people do/have done? I guess you would cut someone out let them fall to the ground and hope for the best. Any thoughts on this?

I know a lot of people that will run an Aries rescue training day once a year to keep the lads in check.

But what I fine mental is that you are more likely to have a bad accident in a crappy conifer tree/hedge that you reducing and there is no plan put in place for that.

If such an accident occurred what would people do/have done? I guess you would cut someone out let them fall to the ground and hope for the best. Any thoughts on this?

Remind me never to work for you.

Remind me never to work for you.

Haha I'm not on about a huge tree but if you have a tangled tight conifer. And someone needs to be rescued what do people do, surely if it is a life threatening situation you need to think fast and get someone down on the deck quickly. What do people do in these situations?

I would "suggest" you think about aerial rescue skills / certifications in the same way you do for your First Aid qualifications and do a formal refresher, including any new techniques (pole-rescue) every 3 years and, perhaps, annually for those who don't climb regularly (hmmmm, are they truly competent as per AFAG 402?)

The industry Guide to Good Climbing Practice recommends, okay it says "suggested", PRACTICE every 3 months. This it to keep the techniques current and in the hope that if, n hopefully never, you do need to use it then the practice and drills will overcome the fear and shock.

Cheers..

Paul