Grounds maintenance

simonm

I have the opportunity to get into grounds maintenance on a few industrial units we do tree work for, i have always turned it down in the past but now i have another lad working also it would be nice to have a bit of regular ish money coming in. I have done a lot of grounds maintenance in the past as an employee but have never priced it as my own job. Question is, is grounds maintenance a profitable thing to be involved in? around my way every tom dick & harry seem to be out mowing grass! not exactly rocket science.

This is something that runs alongside of other things we do. We have found that being involved with grounds maintenance has led onto other things, once in you will be the first port of call for all the associated work like fencing,landscape and even gritting. We have 3 or 4 guys flat out on this type of work all year and most weekends in the summer. There is also no shortage of skilled gardener types that are up for part time work which again can relieve the workload. We have one old boy that looks after a massive car sales site for us , we only ever see his invoice because he is self contained and just gets on with it. There is certainly no harm in giving it a try , nothing ventured nothing gained . Best of luck .

Bob

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO it all comes down to finding the work, I mean for grounds maintenance etc where do you go about finding these contracts? I'd quite happy invest in gear if I could only find the work! I've been trying for a couple of years to find little contracts tree/hedging to to no such luck, I spend hours trolling the internet trying to find company's/ hotels etc etc etc

IMO it all comes down to finding the work, I mean for grounds maintenance etc where do you go about finding these contracts? I'd quite happy invest in gear if I could only find the work! I've been trying for a couple of years to find little contracts tree/hedging to to no such luck, I spend hours trolling the internet trying to find company's/ hotels etc etc etc

Mail shots hamma!! Send a Nicky designed email listing your services to all hotels etc in your area. It does not cost anything to do that as flyers would do. It works!!!!!

Plenty of grounds maintenance on private Estates and some can be lucrative,I only have 4 commercial sites now and the rest private mainly fed up chasing overdue invoices and fed up with safety officer's who haven't got a clue about there work or mine .

9 months of the year without pricing work is great .

Ste

Mail shots hamma!! Send a Nicky designed email listing your services to all hotels etc in your area. It does not cost anything to do that as flyers would do. It works!!!!!

Yeah I started emailing company's a few months back! Estate agents, churches, hotels, golf clubs etc I'll keep trying though 😩

Plenty of grounds maintenance on private Estates and some can be lucrative,I only have 4 commercial sites now and the rest private mainly fed up chasing overdue invoices and fed up with safety officer's who haven't got a clue about there work or mine .

9 months of the year without pricing work is great .

Ste

Good idea to e mail all my local estates! And maybe look a bit further afield!

There's certainly good regular money to be made from grounds maintenance. My company started out doing gardening and then I qualified as a tree surgeon and for a while that took the lead. Recently we have balanced out and now offer grounds maintenance to larger clients such as industrial estates, pub restaurants and to schools and supermarkets. Whilst this is still a developing area for us, we are about to sign on a contact worth £27k a year for a very large multinational company. This for the most part is regular grass and vegetation management but there are 120 trees on sitein the car parks requiring remedial works.

There is certainly money in it but be very sure to have a proper agreed specification for the work BEFORE signing contracts for the year.

There's certainly good regular money to be made from grounds maintenance. My company started out doing gardening and then I qualified as a tree surgeon and for a while that took the lead. Recently we have balanced out and now offer grounds maintenance to larger clients such as industrial estates, pub restaurants and to schools and supermarkets. Whilst this is still a developing area for us, we are about to sign on a contact worth £27k a year for a very large multinational company. This for the most part is regular grass and vegetation management but there are 120 trees on sitein the car parks requiring remedial works.

There is certainly money in it but be very sure to have a proper agreed specification for the work BEFORE signing contracts for the year.

Good luck with the contract! I'll be web trolling tomorrow trying to get me a piece of the pie!! 😉