Dolmar PS420sc

Luckyeleven

If it is cheap. it is a good saw for the money. It is heavy for the cc and power though, and the inboard clutch design as a negative effect on the handling, specially for limbing and such work.

If it has a cat muffler, the cat will of course have to be removed.

Quality is high, for a saw that isn't supposed to be a pro saw.

Edited by SawTroll

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is cheap. it is a good saw for the money. It is heavy for the cc and power though, and the inboard clutch design as a negative effect on the handling, specially for limbing and such work.

If it has a cat muffler, the cat will of course have to be removed.

Quality is high, for a saw that isn't supposed to be a pro saw.

Hi

I seem to recall WYKs post a while ago showing the 420 was more or less the same as a 241, if thats heavy you need to eat more spinach:biggrin:

Im sure the saw will end up in the hands of many pro users at the price & certainly looks very good value.

N

Hi

I seem to recall WYKs post a while ago showing the 420 was more or less the same as a 241, if thats heavy you need to eat more spinach:biggrin:

Im sure the saw will end up in the hands of many pro users at the price & certainly looks very good value.

N

It is heavier than the MS241, and both are far too close to the 550xp in weight to make any sense. Both are hadicapped by an inboard clutch as well, regarding handling.

The only real reason to buy a 420SC/421 is if the price is low enough, and the alternative option is a plastic cased clamshell saw of comparable power.

It is heavier than the MS241, and both are far too close to the 550xp in weight to make any sense. Both are hadicapped by an inboard clutch as well, regarding handling.

The only real reason to buy a 420SC/421 is if the price is low enough, and the alternative option is a plastic cased clamshell saw of comparable power.

I've found a new use for these posts - print them off, eat them and you sleep like a baby! Sleeping tablets :thumbup1:

I didn't notice a huge difference in handling between the 420 or my 241cm(in mostly stock form as it is now ported). The 420 with an open muffler does rather well for a 42cc saw. In stock form with a simple muffler mod, the 241 and 420 aren't light years apart, and certainly not as far apart as their difference in costs would suggest. However, the cat needs to be removed from the 420 for it to work well, but this is very easy for even a layman to do as it an internal component of the muffler that simply pops right out.

Having said that, the 550XP is one of the best handling saws out there, with the only possible exception in the 50cc class being the Echo 500P at half a pound lighter. However, the 550 does cost considerably more than a 420.

Edited by wyk

I didn't notice a huge difference in handling between the 420 or my 241cm(in mostly stock form as it is now ported). The 420 with an open muffler does rather well for a 42cc saw. In stock form with a simple muffler mod, the 241 and 420 aren't light years apart, and certainly not as far apart as their difference in costs would suggest. However, the cat needs to be removed from the 420 for it to work well, but this is very easy for even a layman to do as it an internal component of the muffler that simply pops right out.

Having said that, the 550XP is one of the best handling saws out there, with the only possible exception in the 50cc class being the Echo 500P at half a pound lighter. However, the 550 does cost considerably more than a 420.

Hi Wes,

Yes theres a few ported 420's out there & look very fast, Im not sure why ST has a bee about inboard clutches, I have saws with both and can't say I notice any difference handling wise - an outboard clutch is more fiddle to get to the bearing.

The 420 is almost half the price of a 550xp as well!

N

I must agree with you NFG the inboard clutch system on the dolmar's is a good thing you have good clean areas inside the cover all your wood chips get sent out no obstruction and so easy to change sprocket rims I sold a ps-350 recently which is the same chassis as the 420 I supplied a pro sprocket clutch drum and sprocket rims 1/4 and 3/8 but the beauty is they can interchange this saw from tree work to carving in minutes without having the hassle of spinning off the clutch. :001_cool::thumbup:

Removing the outboard clutch on a newer Husky model isn't much hazzle - you just need a suitable screwdriver or chisel, and something to hit it sharply with. No piston stop or other special tools are needed, and the are no small parts to loose.

The outboard improves the handling quite a bit, as the bar is getting closer to the centre of mass of the saw. Then it improves cooling, and there is less chanse of bending or breaking the crank. The clutch side bearing also have a better "life" with less force on it, and keeping things clean in that area is easier.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a 'Makita EA3201s' beautiful little saw with plenty of poke for 32cc, got an inboard clutch the same as most of the 'Stihl's' I've used over the years and I never had any problems with em, the only problem I've got with the EA3201s is the crappy 'tooless chain tensioner' which at some point over the next few weeks I'll rectify once I've paid for me car to be repaired, I hope to be in contact soon Shavey !...:thumbup1: