New 880

Mike Black

Hi, had a wee problem with my new 880 this afternoon. Though it would reach full revs warming up, it would not achieve full rev whilst milling.

Could this be because the engine hasn't been 'played in' yet? Does it take a while for the engine to settle in?

Also I had problems after I had stopped for a while starting it again.

Many thanks,

Mike

Milling with a brand new saw is asking for some expensive repairs. Milling is very tough on a saw, and yes it should be used normally first for a good month of ringing up etc. To bed all items in.

And personally I would not be thrashing a new saw flat out unloaded either. Let it tick over, blip throttle for a minimum of a tank or two....

Milling with a brand new saw is asking for some expensive repairs. Milling is very tough on a saw, and yes it should be used normally first for a good month of ringing up etc. To bed all items in.

And personally I would not be thrashing a new saw flat out unloaded either. Let it tick over, blip throttle for a minimum of a tank or two....

Hi BIG ASKING A little much yes from a new saw I ran all my saw in 1st I do like your 090 STIHL thanks Jon

Chainsaws are big noisy things but still must be treated well even the big old 880!

Hot weather can make saws much harder to restart. A few tips:

• Don't run the saw flat out all the way down the log - let it idle for 30 seconds or so every meter you mill
  • At the end of the log do not go from milling flat out to then just flicking the off switch - heat still builds up... when idling air over the fans helps the saw cool down
  • Never allow the saw to run out of fuel - it causes problems in the long term

Clean filter, sharp chain, normal maintenance.

Engines do not deliver full power until after a good few tanks of fuel as components bed in - so yes you can mill with a new saw but give it more idling stops, treat it gently.

It's boring but read the manual - it also gives pointers about not running it balls to the wall for long periods in the running in period.

:001_smile:

Chainsaws are big noisy things but still must be treated well even the big old 880!

Hot weather can make saws much harder to restart. A few tips:

• Don't run the saw flat out all the way down the log - let it idle for 30 seconds or so every meter you mill
  • At the end of the log do not go from milling flat out to then just flicking the off switch - heat still builds up... when idling air over the fans helps the saw cool down
  • Never allow the saw to run out of fuel - it causes problems in the long term

Clean filter, sharp chain, normal maintenance.

Engines do not deliver full power until after a good few tanks of fuel as components bed in - so yes you can mill with a new saw but give it more idling stops, treat it gently.

It's boring but read the manual - it also gives pointers about not running it balls to the wall for long periods in the running in period.

:001_smile:

Hi ROB good points there mate 👍👍👍thanks Jon 👍

I've been a little reluctant to post any pictures of my work after seeing the quality stuff you guys have been putting on here but hey we've all gotta start somewhere and i am just starting out, i'm no stranger to a chainsaw but i am to milling and carving, at the moment i'm milling free hand and have been scavenging off a wind blown ash that came down in a local wood about 4 years ago, i've been getting quite a bit of waist free handing through running off on the back of the cut so going on holiday next week and as soon as i get back i'll be ordering an Alaskan from Rob so i thought i would post a couple of pictures of the "before the mill" and then i can post some after i get the Alaskan, hope the pictures post the right way up this time. Ash garden seats.

IMG_20150502_100629.jpg.715b518b3d24ff8f8d35ee4e33a5b257.jpg

An oak ring rocking seat with ash back and pine seat, made for a friend as a memorial seat for her late husband Eddie and to be handed down through her family, the names are burned into the ash back, i had to use coach bolts on this one as due to the weight it had to be re assembled on site. cheers for now Peter.

DSC_0281.jpg.633cf5f1c24ad2830dcedc1c9ee1ca45.jpg