Fracture Pruning Retrenchment on Fulham Oak

David Humphries

I don't have a problem with new method, but I do find it ironic and some what amusing that the people who are now advocating this form of prunning are the very people who have for years poured scorn on the rips and tares the pikeys leave.

I really feel that I shouldn't have to be explaining this here on an ARBORISTS forum, but here it is anyway.

The rips,tears and step cuts left by pikeys are poles apart from what is attempting to be achieved with the Fracture Pruning technique. The vast majority of our local clients, not to mention discerning Arborists certainly can tell the difference.

I won't advocate that the finish on the Fulham Oak is anything other than a career works in progress, but if any of the doubters want to see it for themselves, please feel free to drop in on us if your ever in the neighbourhood.

That means you too MB !

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You misunderstand me Tony,I was not suggesting hypocrisy.

The point I was trying to make was the way good practise is in a state of contant change,flush cuts used to be the thing, as was painting wounds:wave:

Sorry, yep just re-read your post. Apologies. You're right of course.

I think we might be about to see wound painting come back again... (for certain diseases!)

Bit like leeches in medicine!

I really feel that I shouldn't have to be explaining this here on an ARBORISTS forum, but here it is anyway.

The rips,tears and step cuts left by pikeys are poles apart from what is attempting to be achieved with the Fracture Pruning technique. The vast majority of our local clients, not to mention discerning Arborists certainly can tell the difference.

I won't advocate that the finish on the Fulham Oak is anything other than a career works in progress, but if any of the doubters want to see it for themselves, please feel free to drop in on us if your ever in the neighbourhood.

That means you too MB !

Fully understand what you are doing, and know there is no comparison between your work and the pikeys.

But I do feel there is a certain irony to the situation, may just be me?

I have aways been amazed a the ability of tree to recover from even the most appalling butchery.

I think there is still a lot to be understood about the way a tree works imo.

( I am in no way saying that you have butcherd this tree):icon14:

I think there is still a lot to be understood about the way a tree works imo.

( I am in no way saying that you have butcherd this tree):icon14:

I totaly agree Skyhuck and i also appreciate your final words, but healthy debate is what the forum is partly about Hence post number 8 i dont dismiss constructive criticism, but a smidgen of respect from experienced Arborists similar to yourself for attempting to understand and practice what emminent tree people such as Fay, Green, Key, Finch, Cowan, Read et al are passionately attempting to bring to the table, is really all we crave.

I think that the prunning of whole trees in fracture type cuts is tosh and so are the reasons for pruning one tree out of dozens or hundreds in the locality.

BUT

If someone wants to pay me for 4 days when 1 used to be sufficient I want a piece of that action .

I want their money spent on me.

am i right in thinking that this is the same tree posted in an earlier thread?

if so i think this was the right thing to do.these methods need to be tried and experimented with.good move in my opinion

It is, thanks for the imput NFC.

You along with some others are helping to redress the balance between the 'Mexicans' and the 'Mexicants'.

Its about 50/50 at the moment.

huh? I don't getcha.

The tree is in a line of at least a dozen trees surely they should all be massacred or all left alone. The work is too perfect for nature. Usually only a few small branches or one large limb tends to fail so the look overall is not natural. If the trees health is in decline then let it decline, birth, life, death, re-use, the laws of nature. Ted Green (whos name is used to help justify this method ) certainly advocates non intervention so fence the tree if safety is a problem, and allow nature to take its course.

To me this practice is surely snake medicine sold direct from the back of the waggon of ecoarborconservationism. The public have little or no idea how to tell professionals from pikeys and to start the professionals down the route of torn cuts and breaks clouds the distinction for the public.

But...

It may well be that in 20 years we are all leaving 20cm stubbs on every cut to allow for gradual dieback , internal compartmentalisation and natural pruning of branches. It looks untidy but leaving the branch collar on looked untidy to those who advocated the flush cutting of branches 20 years ago.

So..

My view is that nature will cope well without man but non intervention pays no bills.