Bugger...wife not talking to me.

leswold

Said light-heartedly perhaps but I suspect most here are too young to remember paraquat; it was the choice killall before roundup and was a contact herbicide that killed the aerial parts of all plants. It was also tasteless and lethal with 5ml, one swig killed in 30 days with no antidote. Back then there were no plastic bottles, so tizer or lucozade were stoppered glass bottles used as drinks in the field. When empty they were ideal to bring some home for the garden, and kept in the shed.

There were many children killed and many suicides before it was dyed blue, made bitter and an emetic added before finally being banned in the EU.

It also became illegal to decant or store any pesticide in a non original container and all containers must have a label with manufacturers instructions.

Very important!

I'm not taking to a high horse or anything but just don't do it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to hunt a pack of beagles when I was a in the Army and one time near Dorchester one of the hounds wandered off chasing a roe. I found him eventually next morning and took him back to kennels where I left him in the office so the other hounds wouldn't have a go at him. Went back down two hours later to find he had vomited, I bagged it up as he was looking rough and took him to the vet. It turned out that someone had been laying paraquat laced rabbit guts around the farmer's field, he later informed me. He also said that he had lost two dogs and a cat to the poisoning and never said a word the day we were hunting on his land. We eventually lost five hounds in total. Nothing could be done, we dosed them with Vitamin B but that was it. That was 30 years ago but I still remember it as it was yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...