Instructor / Technician @ Sparsholt College

Mark T

Sorry I haven't been on here to support you on this one Gimmer. I have too much of a life to spend all my time on here. (Not a dig at you Gimmer.) .

I take it we'll be seeing very little of you on here then hopefully, the comment above is a wide sweeping insult to the vast majority that post on here

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it we'll be seeing very little of you on here then hopefully, the comment above is a wide sweeping insult to the vast majority that post on here

I second that Dean – I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions but this particular one was very single minded. If was to give such an opinionated response I would have spent some considerable time researching on this forum first.

The forum is the perfect feedback tool for instructors who spew out "trained" student into a working enviroment never to hear from them again.

Only a fool would be stupid enough not to see that

That's just it though.... never hear from them again and so assume they must be getting on fine perhaps?

Yes, I vented my spleen. Maybe a little hastily at times. It was my opinion and I should have stated that as many do when giving it on here. There is a vast gulf between opinion and fact. What riles me is when members give opinion on something they generally have no real concept of, and seem intent on having everyone take it as the gospel. The glorified gardening quote was taken from this site. I had eleven years of misinformed customers thinking along the lines of us as glorified gardeners, so that isn't my opinion. I definatly think that students learn huge ammounts at work. Largely practical. There is much ,much more to arboriculture than climbing and cutting though. I think that many firms would find it hard to train someone from scratch when they are in a working environment and on a deadline. I have done it myself. Probably easier in a larger firm where the slower pace can be absorbed better. Students come on here to pick up leads for assignments, which I am all for, but their homework is hardly being done for them (1000 words?) I did say that we encourage this forums use and that I think some of the stuff is vey useful to students and professionals alike. Anyway, a bit of a red mist last night. Explanation and olive branch offered.

Sorry. Meant to add that I, and no doubt most instructors, are not so naive that we think that every student turnrd out by colleges will be a fantastic arborist, or even go on to work in the industry. We (the instructors) can only work with what we have Silk purses, etc. The big decisions are all well out of our hands.

Hang on a minute guys , there is page after page of people freely mocking an advertised job vacancy because the feel they have a reason to do so . personally i feel that the job vacancy was posted on here in case anyone fancied a job . i cant see any reason for it to be posted on here for all of us to pick over pay etc etc . if any of you were yto read the replies to one of your posts about a vacancy you had would you not be a little annoyed about it ?? further to this it really does not look at all professional and personally feel that this could create a divide betwene the industry and the colleges that are training future staff and employees . but this is only my personal oppinion !!

I cant see any reason for it to be posted on here for all of us to pick over pay etc etc .

We haven't ALL picked over it, there has been very little response to it comparatively, there are over 3000 arbtalk members.

So comparatively this thread has had very few negative responses.

It could have had a lot more