Getting into milling?

Maxnaggle

Alright guys, just wanted to pick your brains about how you got into milling.. As it's something I'm interested in, but don't really know how to approach. I'm a tree surgeon by trade, but would would like to offer (mobile) milling as a service at some point, and an also interested in joinery also.

What's the best way to get a bit of insight? Offering to do a bit of work experience for someone?

Thanks!

Hi it all depends on how much money you want to spend you could get youself an alaskan mill I expect you already have a big saw so not a big outlay if you are anywhere near dorset you are more than welcome to come and have a go on mine to see how you like it , Rob D on hearis your man for alaskan mills and rippingchains , give chainsaw milling a go and if then you want to step up to a mobile band mill maybee look out for a good used one , but be warned milling is addictive , P M me if you want to come and have a go

Cheers Mark

Don't do it! There should be a health warning on milling, it is highly addictive and bad for the health!

Anyone know where I can find my local branch of millahaulics anonymous?

Don't do it! There should be a health warning on milling, it is highly addictive and bad for the health!

Anyone know where I can find my local branch of millahaulics anonymous?

👍👍👍

Difficult to justify any kind of 'business case', make a return on your investment or establish income generation. Unless it's hobby / DIY (which is great - and addictive) Personally, I'd say there's not much chance of earning a crust from it!

Haha thanks for the replies guys, I wasn't really thinking about milling as a sole source of income, but for some one with access to raw timber and an interest in joinery/carpentry it does seem like an opportunity worth taking advantage of....

I'm in the same place as you and have recently been looking I to the logosol m8. A great piece of kit with no bending while cutting timber and a little more accurate.

Having paid a deposit on a woodmizer hydraulic bandsaw mill I'm looking to sell my m8. Its done a bit of work but is still fully functional and I have upgraded the log beds to heavy duty log beds, and include a few spares.

I'm probably 4-5 hrs from Kent, but if you want to cone spend a day milling with me you can get a good feel for how you like it, then either buy mine used, or get a new one with the advantage of a warranty for the extra £1000 a new one would cost.

Having paid a deposit on a woodmizer hydraulic bandsaw mill I'm looking to sell my m8. Its done a bit of work but is still fully functional and I have upgraded the log beds to heavy duty log beds, and include a few spares.

I'm probably 4-5 hrs from Kent, but if you want to cone spend a day milling with me you can get a good feel for how you like it, then either buy mine used, or get a new one with the advantage of a warranty for the extra £1000 a new one would cost.

What sort of price are you after for it and where are you based?