self propelled chipper (Shreks wee chipper)

Stephen Blair

All of the chip i produce gets used on our farm for animal bedding and the chooks snip anything off that grows up from the floor but was surprised how these pops strarted shooting up from the chip as there was no evidence of them before the work was carried out. also there was no real sign of a root into the actual soil just in the chip.

after all this talk of leaving chip on site dont you find with some species of trees if you blow the chip over the ground you get alot of regrowth. It wasnt long ago i had to spend a day with the 360 scraping tons of poplar chip out of an animal enclosure where it started to regrow heavily after another firm blew it all over the place with their little chipper.

More work for the future :sneaky2:

Is interesting though, I would have also thought it came from roots suckering but re your last post it would seem not!

Not on my land, I already have 300 mature Oak on 3.5 acres but I have been known to stick a few in my neighbours land all round the edges :001_rolleyes: especailly some Hybrid pop whips I came across

Had you thought about potting them up and selling them on? I would have some if you were closer..:001_smile:

BTW nice touch on the pops...

was a big row of 20 odd pops with no signs of any new / fresh growth before they were pollarded, once all the chip was dispersed over the ground hundred of trees started popping up from within the chip. i was called in with the digger to remove it and noticed when i scraped the ground back to bare soil there was no evident roots as they all seem to be within the chip.............. im no expert, never claim to be but was curious as to whether it was down to the chip