Disposal of woodchips

Mac McLennan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sell mine after it's sat for a while and composted. Goes for £60 a load. I advertise in the local paper alongside my treework services and logs etc. People keep coming back for more. It might be an idea to learn the process as the chippings break down i.e. how initially the bacteria soak up nitrates and give off heat before in the end dying and releasing back nutrients. It helps if you can advise your potential customer on the benefits as well i.e. better water retention, worms come up and pull down into the soil encourageing aeration and humus deeper down, attractive to look at, weed prevention, gradually release nutrients into the soil, encouarges beneficial fungi that can often co-exist with plants and make them stronger and healthier, inexpensive for the area a load will do. Oh the list goes on!!

Before I had a place to keep it I called the National Farmers Union to see if there was a farmer who might be interested. One called back and I happily tipped on his land for a year before getting a larger yard.

As for do you need a liscence for a chipping pile. I expect so. You need a liscence for farting into the wind these days!

Good points Rob. I have to say, I have never given away a scrap of woodchip. Tell people its free, and they dont want it. Charge £10 a cube, and you cant sell enough. I stockpile my arb chip and let it rot down, and in the spring put an add in the local paper - 'forest mulch - free delivery'

Never fails to raise a pile of cash :proud:

Your getting off on the wrong foot by stating that woodchips are 'waste'...who says so ? I classify them at a product just like timber ! I sell them no trouble ! One very famous Cambridge college pays £30 for a 2 ton load !! I have a friend that fills Minage's...for £1200 a go ! Thats 3 50 tonne bulker lorries full ! Never classify anything as waste or you'll incriminate yourself !

I have heard..... *probably an urban myth*

There is a power station that will pay £4 per ton for minimum 25 ton and they come to collect.

Can anyone confirm?

I only started this tree stuff reciently and am still learning my way through.. The biggest problem seems to be what to do with the brash and chipps.