should it stay or go

bob

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont really get it- it isnt exactly a prize specimen of a tree, and with an extension going in there the builders will probably go halfway to killing it when the digger starts going at it and charging round the place anyway?!

the trouble it that to most LA's a tree is a tree no matter its condition , location, targets etc etc and further to this they get the generall public well some of the tree hugging fraturnity pressuring them that every tree no matter what its condition is precious and must be saved at all costs

im really not having a dig at the TO's amongst us purely the system in which they have to work

if the tree has a moderate to low amenety value to 10 or so houses why has the tree been protected ?? surely the tree would/is exempt due to its mechanicle/structural weeknesses ??

i guess its hard to speculate or come to a conclusion without seeing the tree and its location !!! company outing anyone lol

Problem is if someone hadn't climbed it we wouldn't know about the extent of the defect. IMO its appropriate to TPO it giving it the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't consider it exempt unless we could quantify the damage to some rough degree.

Ameity isn't all about visibilty - but even so 10 properties is sufficient to justify it. The reality is that without the Order, planning conditions give less leverage to prevent damage.

the trouble it that to most LA's a tree is a tree no matter its condition , location, targets etc etc and further to this they get the generall public well some of the tree hugging fraturnity pressuring them that every tree no matter what its condition is precious and must be saved at all costs

im really not having a dig at the TO's amongst us purely the system in which they have to work

I know mate, with no disrespect to to's. :001_smile:

I agree to a point.

When I was on the tools, I never really gave consideration to landscape value or the wider amenity. I looked at trees on a site by site basis, mainly because thats how I was asked to look at them. I'd spec up work that met the brief I was given.

Now, things have changed. My job is to look at landscapes, street views, the spacing of trees and buildings, etc. Its a wider approach, and that's not a better or worse thing. It's just a different brief.

If the wider landscape requires that I refuse the reduction of Mrs Miggens tree (even though its quite near her house) then that what I have to do.

The wound is on the tension side of the stem and the crack in the deadwood is most likely caused by excessive movement due to the fact that not enough reaction wood has formed to compensate.

Really what should have happened is the 200t nose should have been used to shave away a small section of the deadwood to see how deep that section was...... cowboy climbers

Problem is if someone hadn't climbed it we wouldn't know about the extent of the defect. IMO its appropriate to TPO it giving it the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't consider it exempt unless we could quantify the damage to some rough degree.

Ameity isn't all about visibilty - but even so 10 properties is sufficient to justify it. The reality is that without the Order, planning conditions give less leverage to prevent damage.

i had to fight to get two Quercus Cerris stopped from felling , the land owner wante two perfectly healthy trees felled so that he did not have to put in an abr approved bridge over the tree roots (BS5837) . it took a week of constant calls to the LA that is normally exeptionally strict about the felling of any tree wether it is ded ,dying ,dangerous or not . but on this occasion they felt that 50-60 homes and a view of the upper cannopy's was not a good enough reason to stop the felling of the two mature oak trees . not nocking you mate but im sure you know all to well how varied and inconsistant plaaning departmentds can be .

Also would it not be considdered that if the tree needs a brace due to its current condition then somethig like a QTRA assessment would put this at more than 1 in 20 thousand risk of failure ??? i personally try to limmit the ammount of bracing i do due to the fact that by identifying that a tree needs bracing is also admitting that the tree is structurally un-sound .

but please correct me if you feel im wrong :001_smile:

not nocking you mate but im sure you know all to well how varied and inconsistant plaaning departmentds can be .

Hell yeah. Knock away bud, I know our failings and I'm not about to make excuses and I can easily imagine others!

Also would it not be considdered that if the tree needs a brace due to its current condition then somethig like a QTRA assessment would put this at more than 1 in 20 thousand risk of failure ??? i personally try to limmit the ammount of bracing i do due to the fact that by identifying that a tree needs bracing is also admitting that the tree is structurally un-sound .

but please correct me if you feel im wrong :001_smile:

Well normally we'd be looking at anything under 1 in 10,000 for QTRA as presenting an unacceptable risk but the level is set by the (well informed) client.

I tend to try to prune out my problems rather than brace them but I suppose pruning is just as much an admission of a defect as bracing?

Hell yeah. Knock away bud, I know our failings and I'm not about to make excuses and I can easily imagine others!

Well normally we'd be looking at anything under 1 in 10,000 for QTRA as presenting an unacceptable risk but the level is set by the (well informed) client.

I tend to try to prune out my problems rather than brace them but I suppose pruning is just as much an admission of a defect as bracing?

if i do have to barce a tree a will always try to prune the tree or failing that the effected limb/scaffold , that way thw brace does its job and weight reduction will hopefully aid the tree some more , but there is a fine line betwene retaining a tree that with the above work will be structurally sound for the next 5-10 years and leaving a liability !!!

as for q.t.r.a i am really interested in finding out more about it and going on a course to be able to use q.t.r.a but sadly down in cornwall there is no training that i know of :mad1: