Toyota D4d - common fault and how to fix.

TimberCutterDartmoor

Spent a few hours today in the top end of my D4d engine. Injector seals are a known issue on earlier models so if yours is watch out for this!

Initial tell-tale is slow oil pressure rise caused by solids in the pickup screen in the sump; said solids and sludge are from combustion gases leaking directly past the injector seals in the head into the rocker cover where the cams and tappets are - not good; fouls the oil quickly with resultant issue at the bottom.

I pullled one injector at a time and had a bit of fun getting the old copper seals out; worked backwards from #4 - all were clean enough, but #1 oh my - see picture - horrendous! Gases had also cooked the o-ring so it was a real mess in there - look at the state of the whole cam box as a result - grim.

Copper seal in #1 was very eroded and carbonised; worse still it's as eccentric as it looks in the picture; the hole is well off centre; whether it's eroded that way or was a faulty part from new, who knows but shocking either way.

Supposedly sensitive and fragile injectors nonetheless had a wipe down and tip clean; #1 I was a bit more savage with!

Clean the injector wells out good (carb cleaner and compressed air), replace with upgraded silver seals and reassemble.

Sump off, inspect pump pickup screen, flush and O&F change tommorow...

59766ce54446e_WP_20150416_0071.jpg.311b9bba6ffdf5efb88ec23195338e99.jpg

59766ce54247e_WP_20150416_0051.jpg.1066e43d5d10c2338ccac21697fd373f.jpg

59766ce540c89_WP_20150416_0041.jpg.e28a17618da4aaa112f1573465a67589.jpg

59766ce53f5a0_WP_20150416_0031.jpg.00f6e6b11b548ef12962fb4264e7239b.jpg

59766ce53d41f_WP_20150416_0011.jpg.60a0f916c9a4f75e546bb859eea14dc2.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent a few hours today in the top end of my D4d engine. Injector seals are a known issue on earlier models so if yours is watch out for this!

Initial tell-tale is slow oil pressure rise caused by solids in the pickup screen in the sump; said solids and sludge are from combustion gases leaking directly past the injector seals in the head into the rocker cover where the cams and tappets are - not good; fouls the oil quickly with resultant issue at the bottom.

I pullled one injector at a time and had a bit of fun getting the old copper seals out; worked backwards from #4 - all were clean enough, but #1 oh my - see picture - horrendous! Gases had also cooked the o-ring so it was a real mess in there - look at the state of the whole cam box as a result - grim.

Copper seal in #1 was very eroded and carbonised; worse still it's as eccentric as it looks in the picture; the hole is well off centre; whether it's eroded that way or was a faulty part from new, who knows but shocking either way.

Supposedly sensitive and fragile injectors nonetheless had a wipe down and tip clean; #1 I was a bit more savage with!

Clean the injector wells out good (carb cleaner and compressed air), replace with upgraded silver seals and reassemble.

Sump off, inspect pump pickup screen, flush and O&F change tommorow...

HI JON DO THE RIGHT THING buy land rover thanks jon :thumbup:

That's good work. In response to symptoms or purely preventative?

Not preventative - look at the injector!

Actually no symptoms to the layman but mild knock made me look deeper; remove oil filler cap when idling - you can hear the hiss-hiss-hiss if the seal has gone - nearly always #1 injector (the hottest end) which is adj to the filler cap and smell exhaust in the rocker cover; only smell from there should be crankcase oil fume, not diesel exhaust! Had those symptoms so parked her up and ordered the seals (£16.99 from Toyota). Injectors are probably a bit worn too but I'm not going down that route as it aint cheap and you have to match to the ecu. I shall put some RL85plus through the tank and reduce O/C interval accordingly.

Oh and another thing; do yourself and your diesel (any diesel!) a favour; drop the recommended 5W30 oil and put in 5W40 or even 50; reduces blow-by considerably.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Didn't ask that well did I!

So there were symptoms caused by the injector that caused you to go in rather than running fine but with an injector like that.

As a trafic driver I know the struggle getting them out can be...... Seems one of yours self lubricating!!!

Didn't ask that well did I!

So there were symptoms caused by the injector that caused you to go in rather than running fine but with an injector like that.

As a trafic driver I know the struggle getting them out can be...... Seems one of yours self lubricating!!!

It appeared to run fine but I heard a particular "knock" that made me do a bit of research; soon found that the noise under the oil cap said it all - seals gone and explained poor oil pressure rise at startup.