selling a scrap vehicle & what to do with V5?

Rupe

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rupe- borrow a trailer, take the wheels off and take it down to the scrap metal dealer, not the scrap car yard. They pay for it. Thats probably all matey is going to do, and generalizing here, you will have no end of trouble if you let it go to a man with a transit who goes round after scrap. Then fill in the bit that says you have dismantled it yourself.

Try here.Burke Bros (Cheltenham) Ltd.

As long as you have filled in the section on the log book and send it off you have done everything legally as if you were selling a 200k car. I would send it recorded tho, then you can prove that it was sent if it did go wrong.

You'll get a letter back of DVLA in about 2 weeks saying thankyou for the notification of change of keeper, then it is no longer your problem, again file that letter in a safe place.

Rob

You shouldnt need id, but whatever you do, get a receipt or proof of change of keeper whoever you sell it to. I sold a car throuh an auction about 15 years ago. About 9 months later i got a letter saying i had used or parked on a street without tax. Sent the receipt to swansea, no problem. If i hadnt had that receipt, i would have been responsible.

You should really, wouldn't worry to much about it though, imortant bit is the letter back from DVLA.

What I do when I sell vehicles is to draw up a little simple sheet saying vehicle reg, id etc sold to ..... for....... on the date at time then both sign it. Do two of these, you keep one, he keeps the other.

Rob

Mick, what a FRAG?

I don't want to drive the thing on the road, it just wheelspins everyhwere cos there is no weight on the back end!

A FRAG is the scrap mans version of your timber wolf you put a whole car in and it chips it , sorting out all the parts as it goes on a conveyer belt(seats ,ally stell fluids ETC)

Problem sorted. I couldn't borrow a trialer in time and had to get it moved today thats why I was stressing about what to do. Anyway we wired up some lights and took it to scrap yard. Got 100 quid for the old wreck.