New timber trailer advice

mikeyg

ive used a palms few years back and found it okay to use 6.7m crane i think was little underpowered compared to botex lifting big sticks and legs seemed slow to come down and up! id say a mechanical drive trailer is better but cost is high and only worry is ones with drive cages mean tires will need replacing sooner as drive lugs could slip once the tires are worn??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at the Vreten. I have the 10 ton version which you can retract/extend. The crane is very good, probably too big for the trailer. All up cost was £17500 plus vat. The Kesla was the same price but the dealer was much further away.

Don't forget the grants are out now so if you can hang fire (as the decisions are not made until June) it may be worth applying for a grant.

IMG00687-20121122-1116.jpg.db946abfcd9d53a8712e05f81f3f6b77.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
How do people find the Mowi cranes? Is the different geometry a plus or a minus?

Not really a fan of parallel cranes. On the harvester they're brilliant but on the forwarder i think a standard is better. Maybe in clear fell they would be quicker but i think on a tractor mounted set up were versatility is key a standard crane is more useful.

Have you seen the price those new G2 14 tonne Farma trailers are going for. It's a very tempting price.

Not really a fan of parallel cranes. On the harvester they're brilliant but on the forwarder i think a standard is better. Maybe in clear fell they would be quicker but i think on a tractor mounted set up were versatility is key a standard crane is more useful.

Have you seen the price those new G2 14 tonne Farma trailers are going for. It's a very tempting price.

I haven't used a forwarding trailer before. Could you tell me what makes the standard timber cranes more versatile than the parallel ones?