Check list for being legal

Mike H

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi paulcumberland - Enforcement Officer advised me that buying in wood makes it an 'industrial' process while if I process/deliver my own wood from my woodland, then I am still under the 'Forestry activity' exemption for a Tachograph.

Planning seems to be a whole new ball game, but I think in a similar way, if you can demonstrate you grow and process your own trees, then you are in a stronger position. I think I recall you have previous experience of this?

Sorry logs are classified as industrial by planners.

How planners see things is unlikely to have any bearing on VOSA's interpretation. Two completely different organisations, doing different things, for different reasons, with different rule books!

John - I agree. The problem seems to be that there is no relevant definition of forestry in the Planning Acts. As a result, no one can say for sure where forestry ends and industrial activity starts. The relationship between 'agricultural use' and 'forestry use' also seems very grey. However, in 1986 a Judge found that converting trees to hewn poles or logs was “forestry”, but that planing, shaping or sawing logs into specified dimensions was “carpentry”. So making logs into firewood is 'carpentry'! in 2000 (Millington v Secretary of State for Environment) a Judge found that processing which is “reasonably necessary to make the product marketable or disposable for profit” (in this case making wine into grapes) was an ancillary use to growing the raw material, and would therefore not need permissions.

It seems to me that it is worth talking to the planners before anyone starts complaining. Keeping a low profile may work if you are very rural, but if you have close neighbours, any complaints could be very difficult to contest, unless you already have managed to get the permissions in place.

Its a minefield and the depressing reality is that many of us do forestry work because we hate bureaucracy..... sigh.

think this is what Tomatin did when they pulled him for no Tacho as he has small woodland on the farm.

I remember, or think i remember, reading that you have a Tacho fitted, but only use it occasionally, as you dont always tow a trailer?

If iam correct, how do you record your weekly rest period?

For example, if you dont take the trailer all week, but then take it on Friday, you put your Tacho card in, but how do you prove you have taken adequate weekly rest?

I remember, or think i remember, reading that you have a Tacho fitted, but only use it occasionally, as you dont always tow a trailer?

For example, if you dont take the trailer all week, but then take it on Friday, you put your Tacho card in, but how do you prove you have taken adequate weekly rest?

We just run it out of scope all the time we use a trailer only 7 or 8 times a season.

Are you having one in the mighty ford