Best log splitter for around the £400-£500 mark?

Devs

Hi, guys I just wanted to update the thread. I've plumped for the FM16 from Forrest Master. It seems like the prefect tool for my job and a step up from the rather standard stuff thats to be around.

I'll report back on how it handles the large rounds of oak and elm that it will soon have to tackle.

Cheers all,

Devs.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flexible braided armour would be even better ofc. Not really needed in my case imo. I'm just a homeowner and the line runs through a safe path, between some flowers and then under/next to a hornbeam hedge. Only there when needed and no one except me that can go there. We've got 380V by the way (Belgium). I got a little higher voltage than normal myself.

Hi Typhke

Sorry missed the clue (380/400)and never read where you were. Long day

If not been said already welcome to the forum.

Hi, guys I just wanted to update the thread. I've plumped for the FM16 from Forrest Master. It seems like the prefect tool for my job and a step up from the rather standard stuff thats to be around.

I'll report back on how it handles the large rounds of oak and elm that it will soon have to tackle.

Cheers all,

Devs.

Good luck with it! I hope it serves you well!

Hi Typhke

Sorry missed the clue (380/400)and never read where you were. Long day

If not been said already welcome to the forum.

Np :) and thank you!

I have had a Logmaster 4 tonne splitter for about 10 years. At first it was ridiculed by my neighbour who knew all about log splitting, but then borrowed it once he saw how efficient it was. It cost £400 back in the day, although I think that they are around £200 these days. I also have a Fiskars X27, but the control and accuracy of the Logmaster cutting at 20 inch is great. You are welcome to come and try them both if you are in the area. By the way, I came across a 75 year old retired vicar who processed all his logs with the same type of electric splitter where an axe would have been too much for him. All the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone suggest a splitter that will split oak, ash, sycamore logs up to 3 feet diameter and 8-12" thick, and yet allow the log to be placed in the splitter without breaking a person's back? The person I'm enquiring for is about 80 years old and is finding that he cannot split with his maul and wedges as easily as he used to. This would be for private use, and I imagine that about £1500 would be the upper price limit.

Can anyone suggest a splitter that will split oak, ash, sycamore logs up to 3 feet diameter and 8-12" thick, and yet allow the log to be placed in the splitter without breaking a person's back? The person I'm enquiring for is about 80 years old and is finding that he cannot split with his maul and wedges as easily as he used to. This would be for private use, and I imagine that about £1500 would be the upper price limit.

HI DAVID to run off a tractor or it own power thanks jon :thumbup:

HI DAVID to run off a tractor or it own power thanks jon :thumbup:

Though the person in question has a tractor ideal for the job, he's hopeless at changing over equipment. A mower is attached most of the time. So it would have to be a stand alone splitter. There is a single phase power supply to hand, but petrol/diesel would also be acceptable.

Though the person in question has a tractor ideal for the job, he's hopeless at changing over equipment. A mower is attached most of the time. So it would have to be a stand alone splitter. There is a single phase power supply to hand, but petrol/diesel would also be acceptable.

Hi David I'm sure someone will no of good small splitter for safety keep it to handled operation do not mess with it as in one hand job thanks Jon

There are several small splitters around. Mine is 8 ton electric but horizontal so while I am sure it would split the wood you describe lifting on would be a none starter. That leaves you with a vertical splitter which are normally a bit more money. Take your pick on power source but I find it very convenient to go into my wood shed and split a few logs undercover. Engines while faster means moving the splitter outside so I would think being 80 he would do a few at a time so that leaves you with electric vertical if you agree with my logic.