My accident

sean

I came to hear about Trampers due to a little job last year. there appears to be a few hire places set up across the country to facilitate some real outdoor access.

Disability scooters. Electric mobility scooters all terrain 4 & 3 wheel buggy. - As seen on BBC Top Gear

wishing you all the best Sean:thumbup1:

Cheers :thumbup1:

Thanks as always for all your support and kind words, they really do mean so much and always keep me spurred on when things get a bit tough.

So I have been out of hospital for a couple of weeks now. It's been a bit of a whirlwind with what seems like one appointment after another. Community Support teams, OT's, Doctors, Representatives from various funding agencies. It really has been non stop and I have lost count of the number of forms and application forms I have filled out since my discharge.

It's so nice to be out of the unit, of course it is. It's now that I am facing new obstacles on a day to day basis. The spinal unit is one big safety bubble, everything designed and geared towards wheel chairs. A different story on the outside. Every pavement is a challenge in a conventional wheel chair. The small casters at the front constantly getting stuck in large cracks or pot holes, stopping dead and nearly throwing straight out the front of the chair. Luckily for me due to the generosity of many around me including the Arbtalkers I have been able to order my new chair which will be a godsend and enable me to have so much freedom. This freedom will not only be enjoyed in the urban environment but also in woodlands and the countryside. I have test driven and now ordered the Mountaintrike. Its such a fantastic bit of kit. All mountain bike technology with full suspension and disc brakes it really is a joy to ride. Up grassy slopes, over tree routes, wet sand, and makes mincemeat of pavements and potholes. Made to order it will be 8 tom10 weeks and it cannot come soon enough. It will enable to get some normality back, I can take my little boy to football with no danger of sinking on a soggy muddy football pitch. I never ever thought I would get excited about a wheelchair!! Oh how things change.

Although I have been discharged from hospital I know what a long way there is still to go. I'm still in a lot of pain and my legs are still on fire 24/7 although I have no feeling or moment. It's much the same as phantom limb syndrome. There is medication fro this but I have cut down on the recommended doses as I am exploring through various types of alternative medicines and healing techniques a more natural way of combating it. Wake some mornings still gobsmacked that this has happened to me, telling myself that I just want my legs back. These thoughts are fleeting and as soon as I start to feeling a little morose I drag myself back quick as I know if allowed to sink too far it is a very difficult place to get back from. I still know how lucky I am. Lucky that I wasn't killed or becoming a quadriplegic. Lucky that I have so many amazing family, friends, colleagues etc. lucky that the system in this country does kinda work ( although starting to realise how much improvement there could be). I watched a program about disability in Ghana. It was horrendous with lots of kids who were paralysed living in the streets, turfed out of home by parents, just seen as another mouth to feed unable to contribute. Using skateboards as wheelchairs they spent there days begging. I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like for them having to do their bowel and bladder management in those conditions. It was heart wrenching stuff and I thanked my lucky stars. However I am a believer that pain is relative and we can only deal with what we are confronted with.

On the whole though I remain pretty positive and I just want the pain to go, for me to regain my agility which I work on everyday through various exercises and bits of yoga and for me to get on with life.

Cheers guys. Will update again soon.

Hi Sean wish you all the best mate from Sonia Jon 👍

Not a great day today beginning around 4.30 am being hassled to make a decision as to what I wanted for dinner the following evening wtf?

After finally falling back to sleep I was again woken at 6 for some lovely dawn suppository insertion. after which was informed that " I will be back in half an hour, to get it all out".

I'll spare you the details but rest assured it was an occasion where I was glad I have no feeling below the waste!.... If you get my drift.

And so to lunch.... Cottage pie and vegetables. Ummmmmm you can complain about cut backs and lack of money as an excuse for shite food in hospitals as much as you like ( which for the record is rubbish) but there is no excuse at all for boiling broccoli for at least 50 minutes until it resembles some sort of aquatic life form found at the bottom of a putrid lake. Lack of cash? You just wasted half the kitchen budget on gas cooking it !

After consuming a jam roly poly that contained quantities of jam on a molecular level a nurse then rushed in, in a panic asking if I had eaten my dinner. Resisting the urge to to answer " are you flickin jokin" she informed me that I should be on nil by mouth as I was having a scan. I'd eaten the pud anyway so told them the scan would have to be cancelled which was then overturned because it was all the wrong info anyway. A right Carry On? You bet missus.

Anyway on a serious note the results of the scan we're not good. It was initiated because I have been finding breathing difficult. Consequently they have found two large blood clots on my lungs. In no time at all I was being pumped with blood thinning drugs which will continue for up to a year now! It also means I have to get a lot better before embarking on rehab.

It has knocked my spirits somewhat today and I am completely worn out but am still feeling the love from you lot. It hits me from time to time just what has happened and it obviously depresses me but Susi has been a rock and together we will get there. I also put myself in the hospital beds of many many people who are laying in a far worse state than I am, in many cases with bombs exploding in the street outside. I know I am lucky and I know I can once again live a happy fulfilling life but I also know there will be plenty of bad days. I'm not ashamed to cry and let it all out and feel much better for doing so.

Onwards and upwards

Love you all and thank everyone of you for your continued support. Peace :001_smile:

When you get through this which no doubt you will you should write a book. You whit is amazing and I've chuckle through your post whilst feeling extremely sorry for someone so brave. It's hard to smile in your situation and probably harder to make others smile. Keep up the positivity and much respect. I'm looking forward to more of your NHS anecdotes.

I Can't say anything that hasn't already been said but, I wish you all the best and if you ever find yourself in Adelaide consider my house a free hotel

Hi TOM WHAT great offer mate that's what makes ARB TALK THE BEST FORUM ON THE NET 👍well done Tom and all the best to you Sean mate from Sonia and Jon