should it stay or should it go??

tree79

.................. Why take the chance? Sooner or later a retained tree like that will kill someone and then where will the recriminations lead?

Statistically, that's not true Tom.

Trees that are implicated in fatalities are more often larger or siuated where there are many static & passing targets.

The chances of a tree like this lime killing someone are incredibly low.

I'm not saying this tree should be maintained specifically, but the chances of it being replaced by a specimen that will establish & provide as many benefits as this one in its urban context are slim, in my experience.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many thanks for all your comments, its sometimes difficult to know what to do for the best.

The LA policy is to replant but as you all know the big problem with that is vandals.

There's always been vandals. If suitable sized trees are planted and guarded, job is often a goodn.

Looking in we all see there is decay.

But the amount of woundwood far exceeds in strength gain, what the decay costs in strength loss.

How can the potential negatives overwhelm the obvious positives?

Stinking thinking imo.

white lines yes that is very optimistic, to think they will do any good!

For gods sake bin it; put the poor old bugger out of its misery and plant a nice blossomy thing* on the grass behind the railings.

* or something epic like a welly, or cryptomaria or deciduous dawn redwood. <ping> I know HORNBEAM! plant a hornbeam just to show they're real and not made up**

Happy Days

Yourn

**that's if they are real of course!

Statistically, that's not true Tom.

Trees that are implicated in fatalities are more often larger or siuated where there are many static & passing targets.

The chances of a tree like this lime killing someone are incredibly low.

I'm not saying this tree should be maintained specifically, but the chances of it being replaced by a specimen that will establish & provide as many benefits as this one in its urban context are slim, in my experience.

Thsts only because statistically the chances of someone being hit by any tree are extremely low. It probably is too small to kill someone in a car but could still kill a pedestrian.

It needs management of some kind either felling or regular pollarding, but looking at the costs of pollarding you could re-plant and have a well established healthy tree for a lot less money.

This is the specification for the 400 or so trees we have recently planted for Edinburgh Council, while nothing is vandal proof this goes a long way towards protecting them. Its 3 round stakes around the root ball with 6" weld mesh surrounding, its very sturdy and supports the tree well as well as protecting from vandals. Perhaps unsightly, but it does the job.

59766cb86b7ba_Treeplantingedinburgh.png.e71e4a48203a9d175df071be89e65239.png

Lots of discussion on *I think* there is decay - but where are the actual assessments of sail area of the canopy, strength loss calculations and consideration of localised topography? I would prescribe all the above before simply saying fell and replant. Yes, I do look to retention as the first option and work from there.

From what I have read, there appears to be far too much reliance on guesswork or assumptions before any objective thought of how to manage this in my opinion.

Lots of discussion on *I think* there is decay - but where are the actual assessments of sail area of the canopy, strength loss calculations and consideration of localised topography? I would prescribe all the above before simply saying fell and replant. Yes, I do look to retention as the first option and work from there.

From what I have read, there appears to be far too much reliance on guesswork or assumptions before any objective thought of how to manage this in my opinion.

By the time you work out the costs of assessing canopies, calculations of localized topography etc, you could have felled it, run it through the chipper, ground and replanted.

Plus as DH said the locations wrong.

Edited by Mountain man