No surprises... Environment Agency Fracking Pie

SteveA

Of course its all about money, Near here they are felling about 500 acres of semi mature sitka in order to put up a wind farm, no doubt they got a grant to plant them, and now they have one to fell them and put up turbines. At least they are taking some timber away. At another wind farm locally they mulched about 300 acres with a mulch head on a 360. 12 seconds a tree, one after the other..... mental when you think about it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course its all about money, Near here they are felling about 500 acres of semi mature sitka in order to put up a wind farm, no doubt they got a grant to plant them, and now they have one to fell them and put up turbines. At least they are taking some timber away. At another wind farm locally they mulched about 300 acres with a mulch head on a 360. 12 seconds a tree, one after the other..... mental when you think about it.

Yes that is mental and unfortunate, and there will be many cases where the greedy are turning to renewables to increase their wealth but this doesn't make green technologies intrinsically bad. Better that the spruce were cleared for a wind farm than a shale gas drilling site.

It would help to site the turbines in more favourable locations if people didn't throw a pathetic hissy fit if they think they might have to be within sight of one!

I also live close to a nuclear power station, when they built it they laid the founds for its replacement, id rather they built the second one and left the spruce trees alone. if they did build it it would generate more power than all the turbines in scotland put together.. Makes more sense to me....

I also live close to a nuclear power station, when they built it they laid the founds for its replacement, id rather they built the second one and left the spruce trees alone. if they did build it it would generate more power than all the turbines in scotland put together.. Makes more sense to me....

And if you had to choose between a wind turbine a mile from your house or a deep burial site for the nuclear waste in the same location?

Nuclear seems to me to be a ridiculously expensive, shortsighted and very risky option which again just diverts funds from true renewables. If a wind turbine has a terminal malfunction the worst you are going to do is poke some holes in the grass. Nobody will ever be able to say the same for nuclear. Come to think of it, a windmill also makes a very disappointing terrorist target!

To throw in another grenade to this lively thread.

Bio char whilst I realise it's burnt in a controlled way to produce it, surely this happens in a small way when forests are decimated and burnt to clear land. These deforested area soon go poor in soil quality.

Forested areas tend to poor soil quality, especially in the tropics where a lot of this activity takes place. Charcoal in itself does not nutrify the soil. It is basically just an inert carbon sponge which holds water and any added nutrients. Over time, I would imagine that the slash and burn soils would improve from this non intended 'raw' charcoal application but you are probably looking at decades rather than years.

I think that all the stuff that mankind has done to the earth is not good, bad even in some things, but to say that we have any control over this planet is just too much. The earth was here for billions of years before us heating up and cooling down as it felt like it and it will continue doing so until the sun gobbles it up. In the grand scheme of things we are insignificant.

I think that all the stuff that mankind has done to the earth is not good, bad even in some things, but to say that we have any control over this planet is just too much. The earth was here for billions of years before us heating up and cooling down as it felt like it and it will continue doing so until the sun gobbles it up. In the grand scheme of things we are insignificant.

All true but most people can't handle the fact that they are not "special" (like their social worker told them)

"Man cannot make a worm, yet he will make gods by the dozen."

Montaigne