Hitch ascender or lockjack ?

reidy

Ive been trying to use a hitch ascender with a valdotain but the not keeps failing .

As Matty an Steve both suggest, you could try modifying by adding/adjusting wraps, but a lot of it will depend on the cord you're using.

You could also try playing around with a couple of other knots that are very similar principal to the VT.....

There's loads out there these days.... the Happy (and the Very Happy)... the Knut....

Personally, I find these two work pretty well with tending pulleys...

The Distel

SherrillTree | Tree Gear. Tree People. Professional Tree Care

The Howard Hitch

http://www.tree-consult.org/images/pdf/de/howard_hitch.pdf

(ignore the writing, but look at pic3)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I tie a vt i'll do 5 wraps and 1 braid once you sit on it it'll go to a 4 wrap 2 braid, sometime more braids and a longer cord works best, yes you'll have more sit back but the extra braids will help to buffer the load to the wraps/coils giving better descent control.

This is the thing with a vt so many options and variations which make it so tuneable.

Something else to look out for is your fishermans, they will settle which can throw out your hitch making it begin to not grab reliably.

Perserver and the vt is hard to beat.

Personally, i'd try a knut hitch, its not as fussy and is close to a vt.

I've had my latest Lockjack two years same cam so thats £1.73 per week it's cost me .

People moan about cams wearing away quickly, they only wear if your rope is dirty and engrained with abrasive dirt.

I dont do rain or mud, my rope is 12 months old and is still clean as, it's only been washed twice so there's no sandpaper effect wearing away my cam.

I've tried VT but once your used to lockjack or Spiderjack there seems to be miles of movement in the VT or any other friction setup and a load of crabs, pulleys and knots, far too bulky and I wouldn't go back

I've had my latest Lockjack two years same cam so thats £1.73 per week it's cost me .

People moan about cams wearing away quickly, they only wear if your rope is dirty and engrained with abrasive dirt.

I dont do rain or mud, my rope is 12 months old and is still clean as, it's only been washed twice so there's no sandpaper effect wearing away my cam.

I've tried VT but once your used to lockjack or Spiderjack there seems to be miles of movement in the VT or any other friction setup and a load of crabs, pulleys and knots, far too bulky and I wouldn't go back

well said dean , i know that lock jacks are relativly new and many climbers are not keen on them, when i first tried it out at first i was not that keen on it but after using it a bit more a soon realised just how much better i found it and how much more productive my time was when climbing . in my oppinio0n its a great bit of kit and worth the £180 i paid :001_smile:

ive recently been playing on the spiderjack 2 and must say its a fine piece of equipment. An expierenced climber will def fly on it but i definetly wouldnt recommend one to a new climber. and i think theres more things that you can do with a hitchclimber such as v rig, o rig, lift casualty, etc.. would be interesting to see how people who had never used a spiderjack/lockjack would rescue someone who was using one ie there weight was fully loaded on the cam.

I must have a go on a spiderjack, I may get converted!!

Rescuing someone on a lackjack shouldn't be difficult, getting someone of a toothed ascendor i reckon is more of a challenge to someone who is not familiar with them. I'm going to have to think of some rescue stratergies to put on my site,,,,,,,,, someday.

i have spent today using my lock jack sport swivel and art friction saver and highly rate it , i have also been trying out the pantin foot ascended and hand ascender with it ond got on really well . i tried the hitcher but didnt feel it was as good as the lock jack

BUT THAT IS ONLY ME PERSONAL OPPINION LOL

similar to you cts,I find if that the lockjack combines well with ascenders.

I extend the bridge on a sling and frogwalk the tail usually with a rightfoot ascender and a lefthandled ascension fitted with a single footloop,as an alternative to footlocking.Once Im in the tree,I detach from the sling(and ascenders) and Im into hand over hand.I know that you can do the same with hitches but the LJ feels better suited to me.

A workmate likes to climb the tail using a single foot ascender with his other foot on top,pushing up footlock style with both feet.Climbing has plenty of room for personal preferences and innovations.