My first Video

Mike Hill

girls girls girls

sorry i missed this one

nice one blakes for putting some good points

i have just watched the vid again and found a few more points to raise

will start with why use a bowline rather than a timber hitch when lowering vertical sections

as a timber hitch is stronger

very sorry i was not on last night blakes

then i could of helped fight the cause:001_smile:

another 40 posts then another point will be raised

And what do you know about tree work eh Bob how long you been out of college hmm? opps:blushing: I forgot when you started climbing manilla flavoured ropes was the order of the day,,,,, probably.

I myself have never used a timber hitch aloft, only ever using it to secure a rope brake to the base of a tree as it requires less length to tie than a cows tail.

I've also never used a whoppie or loopie in heavy rigging.

Maybe i should start using a timber hitch more as it doesn't reduce the strength of the line as much, only i've always found a half hitch or 2 precceding a bowline enough of a security myself, and just prefer a bowline as it just seems easier and less chance of messing it up but thats probably just me (mental note to self start using a timber hitch)

The first time i saw Mikes vid I saw lots of things i thought were peculiar to the stratergies i would normally use or see used by others, at the same time I saw someone who is at ease with what he is doing and performed a nicely executed take down. So why bother criticising his methods?

I for one prefer a cows tail for securing the pulley, it just feels better and for me at least is easier to adjust and tie tight, i'd also have less slack.

But what do i know i have the least practical experience garantued than anyone else here but i hope to learn more through discussion.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what do you know about tree work eh Bob how long you been out of college hmm? opps:blushing: I forgot when you started climbing manilla flavoured ropes was the order of the day,,,,, probably.

I myself have never used a timber hitch aloft, only ever using it to secure a rope brake to the base of a tree as it requires less length to tie than a cows tail.

I've also never used a whoppie or loopie in heavy rigging.

Maybe i should start using a timber hitch more as it doesn't reduce the strength of the line as much, only i've always found a half hitch or 2 precceding a bowline enough of a security myself, and just prefer a bowline as it just seems easier and less chance of messing it up but thats probably just me (mental note to self start using a timber hitch)

The first time i saw Mikes vid I saw lots of things i thought were peculiar to the stratergies i would normally use or see used by others, at the same time I saw someone who is at ease with what he is doing and performed a nicely executed take down. So why bother criticising his methods?

I for one prefer a cows tail for securing the pulley, it just feels better and for me at least is easier to adjust and tie tight, i'd also have less slack.

But what do i know i have the least practical experience garantued than anyone else here but i hope to learn more through discussion.

sorry for getting your back up mark

please read my post again and tell me where the criticism is as i did not mean any negativiness

Normally I use lenghts of Stactic Rope I buy from a Ships Chandlers.I have loads of these in different lenghts and use the ones I think will do the job.Usually I double them onto the stem and Timber hitch them.Some times I tie a double Bowline in one end and fit the pulley in that and timberhitch the Rest onto the Stem.

When they get to knackered I use them for strops on Zip lines and things like that.I use slings somtimes to,normally of the kind you use to lift equipment onto Trucks.

Most of my lowering kit is very low tech.

if i can crash it big i will, i usually just work with one groundie so lowering big is a pita, and i dont see the benefit unless i can lift it out big. I very rarely lower now as my jobs are pretty easy stuff, but i am a big fan of a simple speedline, old climbing rope, slings and carbs. whizzzzzzzzz:001_smile:

sorry for getting your back up mark

please read my post again and tell me where the criticism is as i did not mean any negativiness

Who said my back was up:001_tongue: I thought your post was intresting i tend to overlook the use of a timber hitch in preference of bowlines and cow tails, I read no negativity in your post, and take nothing posted on these forums to heart.

It would be nice if we could make these debates / arguments a bit frendlier, reading this thread would put most video virgins off posting which is a real shame.

I LOVE watching other peoples treework vids, please post them anyway and we'll all try to be nice...

There are hundreds of members on here and only a handfull have posted vids, some of the regular posters should lead by example.:001_smile:

I try to see a positive in the arguments on this video, it shows a passion which we all have for our job, it shows how much attention Mike's video has had, it shows the many different perspectives we have as to how to do our job. Some of us may be in some kind of timewarp, others fresh from courses know all the latest recommendations. lets take all these different angles as part of all our furthering of knowledge on the matter. Its a well-shot video, filming a person who has much experience in getting the job done, in many countries.

I remember some time ago putting up a vid, and getting shredded for the work practises I used, I didnt want others to copy me and my colleague, but to show how a particularly dangerous tree could be dealt with as quickly and safely as possible in a tricky situation, with a combined knowledge of around 70 odd years worth. It hasnt deterred me from posting vids of work, and I'd encourage others to go ahead and give it a go.:001_smile: