Tetanus Vaccination is for life, not just for School!

Katie at FoxMedics

I think if concerned then ask at your local Gp practice, they can access your records and will advise wether you need a booster. Perhaps best not to assume because it's bled the bacteria will not be present. I've seen plenty of infections, not tetanus thank goodness, from wounds that have bled. Any bacteria is nasty, who's to say dirt is not present in a bleeding wound? All depends on depth and type of wound and what caused wound and environment. Tones to take into consideration. But I think the NHS makes a great point of cleaning wounds thoroughly, I know your not always in an environment that has a basin and tap but even if you pour some bottled water over wound.. Prevention better than cure and all that.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Katie and I have summarised the advice. You have 5 by the time you're 15 and then you never need another one unless you have a high risk wound ie fork through foot. Sadly some of the advice you get from your local receptionist can be out of date and talk of 10 years boosters hasn't been current for at least the past 10 years.

The bible for this is The Green Book published by the Dept of Health and if you google green book tetanus you can read the instructions same as me. Sadly they are not very clearly worded but as I say, haven't changed significantly for the past 10 years. Overdoing tetanus jabs leads to swollen red sore arms, but not having had your five in a lifetime can be very dangerous in this industry as you get older.

Interesting the difference between US and UK advice on this. I hadn't realised until Easy Lift Guy mentioned it that in the US you are still advised to have regular boosters. Very strange when it's the same disease and very similar vaccines.

Actually if you have a serious injury that is high risk for tetanus, then a booster is a waste of time and you actually need immunoglobulins (a big intra-muscular injection that gives you short term antibody protection). You only need a booster if you haven't had the five in a life time as previously mentioned. Boosters don't work quickly enough to prevent tetanus if your wound is really dirty and high risk. Accident and emergency departments follow this but many GP's don't as Harrythecat has illustrated.

All lots of interesting findings. The Centre for Disease Control and Prevention explain that there is more likely chance to get Tetanus from a Minor Wound rather than a Larger wound due to the fact that a Larger wound would hopefully be treated in a clinical setting- Hosp/ Docs. It also mentions that after 10yrs of previous booster then your levels of protection are more than likely at a minimal level so a booster is recommended. Also the incubation period for tetanus bacteria to multiply in the body is 3 days onwards.

If unsure speak to your doc, a red arm is easy enough to recover from not so sure about Tetanus.

This is quite an interesting read, like many older workers I was told that further innoculation was not required and no longer offered due to the risk of adverse reaction having received approximately 9 up until the age of 40, following a full round of innoculations and several other incidental ones after various injuries. This advice was given to me about 11 years ago by the practise nurse of my then surgery. It appears that further research may now be necessary in order to obtain current definitive advice.

Thanks, Matt.